And so it begins again, this time with Intel's new Core2Duo

Peltier maybe... I dont have the money for that either.

I think Im going with the SI-128 and im going to save myself $6... temps cant be worse than that with a SI-120. Which is better... Arctic Silver 5 or Ceramique?

• Replies 370
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

WARNING:

if you have short attention span, this thread/post is not for you.

More on this subject as it happens!

Hi All,

How do I break out of my 'Intel Hater' suit. It's almost as bad as my 'MS Hater' suit.

I think that making the point that yes, I'm still using a DFI board is a good thing, but I get a bad taste in my mouth when thinking about putting an intel in my computer.

Help me get past this huge stone wall in my way! :confused:

EDIT: BTW, great thread!!!

Edit for spelling above: DFI Bad, to DFI board.... How silly of me.

Hi All,

How do I break out of my 'Intel Hater' suit. It's almost as bad as my 'MS Hater' suit.

I think that making the point that yes, I'm still using a DFI bad is a good thing, but I get a bad taste in my mouth when thinking about putting an intel in my computer.

Go visit the OCDB...if you are ready to upgrade there really is no other GOOD choice for a REAL improvement other than Intel. These things are for real. Absolutely nothing wrong with 939 or AM2...if you've already got it :) but....for the same amount of money it would cost to go AM2 you can go Infinity/Conroe and some GOOD memory and laugh yourself silly watching the benchmarks fly...

Look at THESE single 7900gtx scores and compare them to what you are getting right now...

I dont hate either company, never have. I bought what I thought was the best bang for my buck, and at the time, it was the 7900GT KOSC, the E6600 and a DFI motherboard (OC reputation), and I didnt think twice about it.

Look at the benchmarks and the scores people are getting on them with the Core2's and what they are capable of. Other than price of AMD (which the E6300 and 6400 compete with), there isnt any reason I can see for buying an AMD rig other than being extremely tight on cash and you still having a S939 board (no cash to do a full overhaul).

Hi All,

I think that making the point that yes, I'm still using a DFI bad is a good thing, but I get a bad taste in my mouth when thinking about putting an intel in my computer.

EDIT: BTW, great thread!!!

here's how you do it:

buy an E6600 or any Core2Duo cpu

buy a DFI Infinity 975X/G or any Core2Duo supporting 975/965 motherboard

buy some good DDR2

make sure you have a good psu off our recommended list

get a good vid card

mix together, load windows, and return here to brag and exclaim how awesome your new Intel setup is

On the other hand, AMD fans can just sit it out and wait for K8L, which is also looking promising. No need to jump ship if you don't want to.

or you can sit out and wait until the year 3212 because there's always "something" coming that is better than what we have.

Right now, and for 12-24 months, AMD has nothing that can touch the Core2Duo processor.

Zilch

not this reverse HT crap, not their 4-way (just having more cores does not mean a better cpu...there's a lot more to a cpu than just having cores...)

not anything at this time....so you can wait, or you can get what is best right now

Go visit the OCDB...if you are ready to upgrade there really is no other GOOD choice for a REAL improvement other than Intel. These things are for real. Absolutely nothing wrong with 939 or AM2...if you've already got it :) but....for the same amount of money it would cost to go AM2 you can go Infinity/Conroe and some GOOD memory and laugh yourself silly watching the benchmarks fly...

Look at THESE single 7900gtx scores and compare them to what you are getting right now...

If benchmarks are the fun part of computing, yes then Conroe is the only path. Besides that it starts to get pretty difficult to pinpoint a real reason for someone to upgrade if they already have a decent system comparable to 939 AMD 64's. It's probably more of an emotional thing and what makes you happy. Or if some task which you do regularly in a very large extent prove to be done much faster using a Conroe, of course then it could even be profitable.

I will upgrade my CPU to a 939 dual core (it should be here soon), but with interest follow the continuing race between the reigning king Conroe and what maybe in time AMD is able to present. In mean time I encourage my brother to buy a Core2Duo 6600 (he's still using a P4 2.8GHz even though he's the computer guy in the family); only problem is he's stubborn and don't want to have the same brand of motherboard as I... :( .

or you can sit out and wait until the year 3212 because there's always "something" coming that is better than what we have.

Right now, and for 12-24 months, AMD has nothing that can touch the Core2Duo processor.

Zilch

not this reverse HT crap, not their 4-way (just having more cores does not mean a better cpu...there's a lot more to a cpu than just having cores...)

not anything at this time....so you can wait, or you can get what is best right now

That's what I did, and I am loading Windows now as we speak onto my spanking brand new rig ...wooooo wheeeeee! Can't wait to see the benchies fly ...:D

at 3.2Ghz on air, it would run dual-prime under full load with an XP-120 @ about 68C to 75C

Room temps I tried to keep around 76F to 78F but being summer heat still and the lab only having a window A/C unit, it was more possible that daytime it was 76F to 82F

idle...about 40C

the fan was the $6.99 Arctic Silencer 120mm from SVC (link to SVC in my sig)

make no mistake, E6600's at stock speed, especially with the C1E and stop bits (like AMD's Cool & Quiet, reduces multiplier when the cpu is not fully loaded), are nice and cool...but as soon as you turn off all the C1E and internal cooling bits in the bios, and start running it full-tilt, the Core2Duo puts out some serious heat for sure.

Stock intel heatsink would work but wouldn't be very good...nowhere near as good as a decent to nice Thermalright, Zalman, or TT Typhoon etc.

Watercooling is of course better, and allowed me to get to 3600Mhz without breaking 77C (single radiator with 2x 100CFM fans...nice and loud)

With regard to your statement:

"the fan was the $6.99 Arctic Silencer 120mm from SVC (link to SVC in my sig)"

I have looked at every 120MM fan currently offered on the Silicon Valley Compucycle (SVC) website and found none described as an "Arctic Silencer." I, and I suspect others as well, am interested in knowing the precise specs of the fan you used on the SI-120.

A Request:

Would you please either (1) post all the specs from the label on the fan you're using on the SI-120 or (2) perhaps better - just take a crisp photo of the label on the fan, post it in this thread, and identify the photo as the label on the fan used on the SI-120?

And A Question:

Thermalright states that the SI-120 is designed for mounting on a standard Socket 478 P4 mounting bracket (and uses a special bracket for K8). Did you have to do anything special to mount the SI-120 on your Infinity 975X/G? More specifically, was it necessary to purchase Thermalright's GA775 RM bracket to achieve the mounting of the SI-120 on the Infinity 975X/G?

Thank you in advance for any/all information you supply.