I have $500 to blow on my PC! HELP

skenzer

In my opinion you have a 4800+ sitting right there in your computer

It would be very very simple to get 2.4 or 2.6GHz on stock voltage with that chip, though you may have to set your memory on a divider.

It wouldn't have to be anything extreme to get FX-60 speeds.

And for the video, it doesn't really matter unless you want to go SLI, but it seems like for your purposes that may not be necessary. So the ATI card would work fine.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Would you mind taking a little time to help me with the OC'ing thing? It's been way too long since I've tinkered with it.

Maybe a quick idea on what settings I should shoot for? and what do you mean I may have to set my memory on a divider?

thanks

In my opinion you have a 4800+ sitting right there in your computer

It would be very very simple to get 2.4 or 2.6GHz on stock voltage with that chip, though you may have to set your memory on a divider.

It wouldn't have to be anything extreme to get FX-60 speeds.

And for the video, it doesn't really matter unless you want to go SLI, but it seems like for your purposes that may not be necessary. So the ATI card would work fine.

Would you mind taking a little time to help me with the OC'ing thing? It's been way too long since I've tinkered with it.

Maybe a quick idea on what settings I should shoot for? and what do you mean I may have to set my memory on a divider?

thanks

Here's what I'm thinking so far:

1) New Western Digital Raptor drives - 150GIG version. They're faster then my current Raptors and provide more storage

2) Bump up the CPU to a X2 4800+

3) New case....larger and more breathing room

4) New keyboard (mine is getting a bit nasty)

Any other thoughts or suggestions? Thanks for you time

Skenz

1. negative...get a couple $43 Hitachi 80GB SATA II 8mb cache drives for RAID-0, or for a few bucks more, get the ones Uncle David mentioned (I myself have 2x of the 7200.10 Seagate 250GB 16MB cache drives in RAID-0).

Raptors are overpriced, over-hyped, noisy, hot, and not worth the money.

Period.

2. nah...you don't need a new cpu.

3. ya a new case like a CM Stacker or Lian Li PC1000V or something would be great. If you think you need it. But you can get a nice Coolermaster Centurion (which isn't all that big, but the entire front is mesh, and lots of fan holes) for $50 or less also.

4. i use Compaq/HP keyboards or other cheapo Microsoft keyboards. A kb is a kb as far as I am concerned. I'm not a hardcore gamer that competes in CS tourneys etc, but I AM a hardcore gamer who can easily drop 5-8 hours in a day playing games and a good but cheap kb is all I have ever needed.

thanks

negative again

here's what you do

1. read the AMD Overclocking section, paying STRICT attention to the Overclocking Guide, as well as the other threads stuck to the top.

the 3G thread is particularly good to use as starting points

2. Look in the Overclocking Database section.

There is more settings and info in here than you can shake 100 sticks at

3. practice, read, practice, read, practice, read, etc etc

we are willing to HELP you with overclocking, but not interested at all in walking you through it step by step.

We didn't put those great guides and DB sections together just so everyone could ask "how do I set it to get 3Ghz?"

We put all the info up so you would READ it, LEARN it, PRACTICE it, and UNDERSTAND it, and then learn to do it on your own.

here's the ultimate question regarding this issue:

if everytime you were hungry, we just caught a fish for you, would that teach you anything?

if we taught you how to fish for yourself, and then you were hungry, could you not figure out how to catch your own fish?

if we taught you how to fish for yourself, and then you were hungry, but fishing for fish in another lake, a different kind of fish for example, wouldn't you be able to 'adapt' or use your knowledge of fishing that we taught you to then be able to adapt your technique to catch different kinds of fish?

now, don't get me wrong, we are here to answer any questions you have, as long as they are not "what dram timings should I use since the last ones you gave me didn't work?"

because that is being lazy and not doing for yourself.

We will, however, be more than glad to answer a question like "ok, so if Max Asynch Latency settings go by the higher the number, the looser the setting, and more stable but slightly less performance, would there be any reason for me to ever go under 8.0ns with 2GB of RAM?"

if that sounds greek to you, then you have not read and begun to understand the basics of overclocking the AMD64 cpu, and you need to immediately download and study the OC Guide provided in teh AMD - Overclocking section.

;)

For $500 he should be able to drop in a killer GFX card... the only thing his sig system seems to be lacking.

ya, for $300-$350 he can get a KILLER ATI X1900XT 512MB PCI-E 16x card....best bang for the buck right now (I don't recommend 256MB cards anymore with the way games are being made)