Thermalright HR-05 SLI review

Hola everyone. Today I got time to finally sit down and install this nice Thermalright HR-05 SLI chipset cooler.

As I was debating which board to try it out on first, I realized I needed to see the biggest bang for my buck, and so decided to try it out on the DFI Infinity NF Ultra II-M2 (socket AM2) motherboard.

This motherboard is currently busting up overclocks and getting itself into the OC Database here at DFI-Street, but the one disappointing factor so far has been the chipset temps with the stock cooler:

tr_hr05-1.jpg

Full Size, Hi-Res version

tr_hr05-2.jpg

Now, I'm not here to bash DFI, but the stock cooler is...mickey-mouse at best. My temps during idle as well as load on the stock chipset cooler have hovered at 60C to 65C, with the average (ie: what I notice the temp is everytime I walk over and look at it!) being 61C.

61C!!!. Blasphemy!

So, I wanted to get something else going on there, and Thermalright had sent me the original HR-05 about a month ago. I have to say that in a single video card situation, the HR-05 (as well as the new HR-05 SLI) is a fantastic little solution.

Very easy to install on ALL DFI LANPARTY/INFINITY MOTHERBOARDS.

I put that in giant bold red letters because I know a bunch of you will ask "but what about this board? What about that DFI board?".

The answer is that it will fit on all of them. NF3, NF4, ATI, etc. It will even fit on the Intel board, but before you jump out of your chair to go buy one, you best just sit tight as that is another story for later on...right now we are focusing on our most popular boards, the socket 939 Lanparty/Infinity series.

Now, as I was saying, the HR-05 and it's SLI brother both fit most righteously on the Infinity NF4 Ultra II-M2 board, and if there was ever a board that needed some better chipset cooling, it would be these boards.

So I dropped the normal HR-05 on one Infinity Ultra II-M2, and the SLI version on another. Here's some pics with both 6600GT SLI, and my trusty X1900XT monster:

6600GT SLI:

tr_hr05-3.jpg

tr_hr05-4.jpg

tr_hr05-5.jpg

ATI X1900XT Crossfire single-card setup:

tr_hr05-6.jpg

tr_hr05-7.jpg

tr_hr05-8.jpg

Now, what you really want to know...

Stock AM2 cooler:

Infinity AM2 @ 260x10, idle = 61C avg temp

Thermalright HR-05 SLI cooler:

Infinity AM2 @ 260x10, idle = 44C avg temp

pretty decent 17C drop...booyah!

Stock AM2 cooler:

Infinity AM2 @ 260x10, load = 66C avg temp

Infinity AM2 @ 260x10, load = 48C avg temp

scales well...it's busting out 18C cooler at load!

and finally, here's what happens when you drop a silent 120mm fan anywhere in the vicinity so that the HR-05 gets some airflow!

Infinity AM2 @ 260x10, idle = 37C avg temp

Infinity AM2 @ 260x10, load = 40C avg temp

Well, there you have it. I can honestly say that when I first saw the Thermalright HR-05, I was not that impressed. Mostly because I am not really all that fond of passive solutions.

But I gave Thermalright a chance, because they make, in my opinion, the best aircooling solutions on the planet, and on top of that, they are consistent with their quality and especially their customer service and support.

So I gave this a shot, and holy %@#$#@ I was blown away by the temp drops.

For the record, I tried to install an Evercool VC-RE, a forum favorite, and it would not install. Too large to fit on this particular motherboard.

I did however, install the Vantec Iceberq that is also a forum favorite. The problem with the Vantec though, is that temps didn't drop but maybe 1C to 3C overall, in any situation.

I thought maybe I was crazy, so I istalled another one on the other AM2 Infinity, and did a lot of anal-retentive checking to make sure I did it correctly...and I did...and the results were the same...1C to 3C temp differences from a stock cooler.

The Thermalright HR-05 SLI and it's earlier version (simply the HR-05) are both excellent solutions if you can find room for them to fit.

Now...those of you running "short" card SLI, like the 6600GT, you can use the HR-05 SLI version as well as the normal version, as long as your gpu cooler is not interfering on the Infinity AM2 board.

On the Lanparty SLI-DR Expert/Venus, and the ATI RDX200 and CFX3200-DR, you might run into some problems with the normal HR-05 as it really isn't designed to be "out of the way". However, the HR-05 SLI version can be easily used in SLI or multiple video card setups, but again, MAKE SURE THEY ARE THE "SHORT" CARDS!.

Long cards such as the ATI X1k series, and the GeForce 6 and 7 series, it still isn't looking good with the HR-05 on DFI Lanparty and Infinity boards.

ONE THING TO NOTE!

I only have X1900XT Crossfire cards to test with. I do NOT have any of the current Nvidia GeForce6/7 SLI cards to test with. The best I can do for Nvidia at this time is the 6600GT series, which as I have shown you, are very short cards.

If someone has real SLI NV6 or NV7 series cards they can test with, please let me know, and show us some pictures if you can get it to work!

Now, I will throw up some more pictures as I can get to them showing the HR-05 and the HR-05 SLI chipset coolers on various DFI Lanparty/Infinity motherboards, just because I know some of you won't believe my words unless there is a picture accompanying them!

Leave comments and such for me (and Thermalright as they will read this!)

Thanks everyone, and especially thanks to Chris & Hank @ Thermalright.com for allowing me to test these coolers!

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

PS: Here is our preferred place to purchase these great Thermalright coolers.

Remember, using the links provided benefits DFI-Street!

Thermalright HR-05 Chipset Cooler

Thermalright HR-05 SLI Chipset Cooler

sorry Ellis, I didn't want to delete your post, but I wanted 3 in a row to alert everyone to where they could buy them!

The fact that you can rotate it to get it in the optimal position is a huge plus, plus the temp drops that accompanied it are quite impressive. Ifwhen it comes time to replace the evercool, i will definetly check this out....i may anyways ;P

Nice and thorough job as usual H_G :)

I can confirm that you cannot install the hr05sli in the configuration you did (ie with radiator near the sata ports) with a 7800GT involved - only options are top/bottom of gfx card,

but your temp decreases were much greater than mine.

a few other q's:

1) did you find that the pad that you put on the base was too big?

2) does your hr05sli rock a little and move if you push it a little? mine does and its a little concerning.

its a wonderful piece of kit, and this is a great review - if the 2mpixel camera on my phone was any better, i would take pics myself to show you what i mean.

but it is a very good cooler.

but your temp decreases were much greater than mine.

i think you might have failed to note that I am using a different motherboard than you are...and the one thing I noticed right off the bat with the AM2 Infinity is that the chipset temps were very very much greater than any 939 (both Nvidia and ATI) motherboard I've tested before.

I've never seen my 939 board's get up past 55C on the chipset temps, and most will only sit at about 45C for me, but this AM2, no matter what, with the stock cooler, sits at 60C+

a few other q's:

1) did you find that the pad that you put on the base was too big?

2) does your hr05sli rock a little and move if you push it a little? mine does and its a little concerning.

1. I never use the pad, i simply clean the chipset, then put AS5/Ceramique on the top of the chip, and install my cooler

2. it doesn't rock at all, however it does allow for some movement just like any other chipset sink. If yours is rocking back and forth then it is not installed as good as it should be.

If it moves a little when you touch it...that is perfectly normal (how often are you in your case touching your chipset cooler? heh)

Thanks, looking sweet. Hmmm. I bought the Evercool. Maybe in the future I might pick one up. I don't know if it will fit in my Microfly though.

The chipset with fan low the temp was around low 60's.

With the Evercool on low fan it goes around high 40's. Has pretty led too...

Looking at the pics again... it doesn't seem like even teh SLI version would fit with another ati in there. Is it the angle? If you turn the cooler around, if u can, it looks like the card might be too long.

this is correct. No matter how I place it, it will not allow me two long video cards.

Fortunately the Infinity NF Ultra II-M2 is only meant for a single video card.

But also note that i have not put it on the SLI-DR Expert board nor an RDX200 or CFX3200-DR yet, so I can only comment that it will fit on the board properly (as i have tested the HR-05 original on the SLI-DR and CFX3200 but it will not allow dual-gpu either).