Socket AM2 Discussion Thread

temps so far seem to be slightly higher, but i attribute that to two possible scenarios:

1. I'm using odd cooling...an Ultra-90 passive, and a Thermaltake Typhoon copper heatpipe thingy

I've not tried with an XP-120 etc or watercooling yet, so it might be inferior (though not that bad) cooling

2. the memory controller being able to handle the high DDR speeds might be the reason it's temps escalate quickly

the thing I notice is that at idle, the temps are identical to 939's

but remember the Pentium4 cpu's? How they would idle at 35C, but as soon as you dropped dual-prime on them, they'd jack up to 55C or higher?

same thing I am seeing with the AM2

it idles at about 31C @ 260x10, but the instant you drop dual-prime on it, it shoots up to 60C to 68C, and then drops right back to 31C after you stop dual prime

I'm interested to see what happens with an XP-120 and watercooling

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just built up an X2 with the UltraII board and overclocked it to 2.6G with the stock heatsink/fan (albeit with Arctic Silver).

- HTT is at 5

- vcore is at 1.475

- ram is at 2.1V (stock)

- CPU idles at 29-31C, but shoots up to 55-57 when running Orthos, or when ripping a CD via Itunes

- Chipset idles between 57-59C, highest it's gone is 60C

I don't play games on it and so don't desire to run all the 3D benchmarks, etc... to get into the OC database. I've had no stability issues to date.

I'm curious - is the chipset ok running this hot all the time?

Also, how high can I safely volt the OCZ platinum memory? They mention that they allow 2.2V but is it safe to go higher?

Just as an aside, this is an upgrade from my K6-III 450 that I've been using for years. So needless to say, I'm pretty happy with the DFI board/system.

I just built up an X2 with the UltraII board and overclocked it to 2.6G with the stock heatsink/fan (albeit with Arctic Silver).

- HTT is at 5

- vcore is at 1.475

- ram is at 2.1V (stock)

- CPU idles at 29-31C, but shoots up to 55-57 when running Orthos, or when ripping a CD via Itunes

- Chipset idles between 57-59C, highest it's gone is 60C

I don't play games on it and so don't desire to run all the 3D benchmarks, etc... to get into the OC database. I've had no stability issues to date.

I'm curious - is the chipset ok running this hot all the time?

Also, how high can I safely volt the OCZ platinum memory? They mention that they allow 2.2V but is it safe to go higher?

Just as an aside, this is an upgrade from my K6-III 450 that I've been using for years. So needless to say, I'm pretty happy with the DFI board/system.

i'm curious also

did you read the rules of this forum? it sure doesn't look like you have read the rules of this forum...

did you read the rules of this forum? it sure doesn't look like you have read the rules of this forum...

Sorry. I did read them but too quickly; I see now. Go ahead and delete my post.

After triple checking the forum rules my initial response would have been - the rules only go up to #5, but that smelled like a trap. Not wanting you to apply the board of education to my seat of learning yet again I eventually found rule 10. *Technically* I did follow it, but I see now how that would be frowned upon here (sorry).

I'm sure this is superfluous but if there's any other ball droppage on my part, let me know. Sometimes I'm not the sharpest pencil in the can.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...