Socket AM2 Discussion Thread

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Happy_Games I think you have a world record chip there :O

I just chopped the IHS off my 3500+ testing 2.9GHz 1.55v @ 50C max so far.

I'm surprised I didn't kill the chip...the pins got bent kinda bad and I sorta warped the PCB >.:D

I'm gonna ditch my UltraII-M2 and 3000+ soon... and will get the lower end nF-M2 and 3200+ (for its 10x multi) .... lol I'm crazy.

My current 3000+ is weird. Last time when I had an X550 256MB, it was able to get prime stable 2711Mhz at 1.525v. But now... when I plug in my 7300GT it doesn't prime stable anymore. One thing that I noticed was Smartguardian showing +12v rail at 11.97v when I'm on the 7300GT, but it was 12.15v when X550 was running.

soulfly why not just ditch the 3000+ for the 3200+ and keep the Ultra II ?

Well the IHS removal of my 3500+ got me a 3GHz screen shot :D

http://valid.x86-secret.com/show_oc?id=137518 (not stable, but glad I got it all the same).

For some reason my CPU which was at 2.86GHz for a few weeks originally (as per my original OCDB result), began getting unstable (lost WU's in F@H). So I relaxed the RAM settings, but still unstable. I dropped it down to like 2.80GHz which was fine for a while, then became unstable. I then dropped down to 2.7GHz for a while with 1.45v, untill I got rid of the IHS yesterday.

My newest result is 16hours stable 2.9GHz with 1.575v (failed after 1 hour with 1.55v). And temps were about 51C MAX, 47-51C from CoreTemp - this is air cooling so that kinda voltage is scary... I'm trying out 2.8GHz with 1.45v now for a permanant setting.

probably u need to burn it once in a while to keep the speed stable at high speeds.

It's been running at 100% load (folding @ home) 98% of it's life. Maybe it's been burnt too much lol.

Happy_Games have you tried any higher volts on the Sempron you posted in the OCDB ? 1.4v @ 2.7GHz is a nice budget OC!

• 3 weeks later...

Just posted a second entry with the NF590+Sempron. Used slightly lower voltages this time on the processor. I wasn't sure if it was vdimm last time holding me back, turns out it must have been. This entry has fairly significantly tightened up timings while still stay at the same speed and voltage, 2.5v must be a sweet spot on these sticks, and is low enough for 24/7 use with moderate airflow.

Anyways, I'm gonna do one more run tonight to find the max the sticks can do at 1T, then do a stock speed entry as well. After that I'm not gonna play with it any more, I really like this board but it seems to max out your processor you're gonna need a higher multiplier than 9.

I really hoped the 9.5 multi was going to work, but go figure it booted using the 9 multi anyways....ah well.

Happy_Games have you tried any higher volts on the Sempron you posted in the OCDB ? 1.4v @ 2.7GHz is a nice budget OC!

technodanvan has my Sempron that I hit 2700Mhz with stock voltage ;) (and the board, and the psu, but he's clocked my Buffalo Firestix DDR2-1000 higher than I could get out of them)

ok my latest entry into the OCDB is me fooling around with

Thermalright Ultra-90 passive heatpipe cpu cooler

Thermalright HR-05 SLI passive chipset heatpipe cooler

Arctic Cooling Accelero silent gpu heatpipe cooler

Hiper 580w nearly-silent modular psu

I'm gonna go ahead and crank her up to 2800Mhz and see if she'll do it on 1.35v vcore as well as not get too hot with this semi-passive bits of cooling (I am blowing two nearly silent Coolermaster 120mm fans over the general area of the heatpipe units as can be seen here:

http://www.angrygames.com/pics/cases/lab/momma_rig_pre-1.jpg

and

http://www.angrygames.com/pics/cases/lab/momma_rig_pre-2.jpg

I'll have to retest again once her case arrives (Coolermaster Elite for $39 @ SVC and only about $10 shipping to me!), and I'll have these two silent 120's plus a third up in the bay (since the case is mesh) and a couple more all on a Sunbeam fan controller etc.

be interesting to see if I can keep it almost silent and still cranking out the gaming action ;)

technodanvan has my Sempron that I hit 2700Mhz with stock voltage ;) (and the board, and the psu, but he's clocked my Buffalo Firestix DDR2-1000 higher than I could get out of them)

I'm pretty sure she would have done Orthos at my speeds with only 1.4v as well, but the extra juice seemed to stabilize the FSB itself. To get even 330x9 needed around 1.6v to be stable in blend, yet if it'd boot she could run small fft's all day on 1.45.

Ah well, still fun stuff.