Watercooling my $19.99 case (t_ski's version)

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ah, must excuse me (brain fart). I've got a few SW desktops, but no Natalie's. Vader on Mustafar, Clone Trooper, etc...

I drilled some holes in the backside of the mirrored plexi and mounted some LED's. Not as bright as I was hoping for (maybe the wrong resistor), but then again, it's light out now. I'll have to check it out after it gets dark, and maybe snap a pic or two for y'all.

There's not much else I can do ATM until I get some stuff sold. Low on funds :( If I can get anything sold I'll buy my new rad. Maybe the red one will have to go to ebay... :(

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I finally managed to pawn off some stuff on ebay and scraped up enough to buy some more parts. I bought a black GTS360 dual-flow to replace the red X-flow I had. I bought a Zalman VF900-Cu for my ATI card. Also got an HR-05-SLI (which I just finished installing). Some mastercleer 7/16" tubing should be here tomorrow, and I have a special case badge coming too. I bought some blue CCFL's toreplace the LED's around the Imperial Insignia, but it was only marginally brighter. I still have to work up something there.

Hopefully I can get the watercooling installed next week. I have Wednesday off of school next week so I will at least have a whole day to devote to it then. Unless the teachers decide to give any extra "special projects" to do on the day off... :rolleyes:

I hope to have pics soon.

Here's a small update for you faithful veiwers. I got the case badge yesterday, straight from Directron:

dsc04563fv4.th.jpg

And a pic for you guys of the HR-05-SLI chipset cooler:

dsc04565fw2.th.jpg

I've been having some issues lately with the power supply (I think), so I've rush-ordered a OCZ GXS 600W and a PSU tester. Those will be here today, and I'll probably be putting those in this afternoon. The wifey is gonna be PO'ed, but I'll have to pawn some more stuff to pay the balance :(

I LOVE the case badge. Very nice touch to the "theme".

(got to ask "how much"?)

The Thermalright looks massive. Bet it's going to do a wonderful job.

Did you paint the front panel? or is it still translucent.

Keep them pics coming. Always lookin' for ideas to steal :)

The case badge was only $2.99 and they have free First Class Mail shipping on it, but unfortunately Directron has a$3 minimum order. So, just to be on the safef side, I ordered two. That got me over the minimum, plus I got a spare "just in case..." They have all kinds available, and most are under $3. GO CHECK THEM OUT NOW!!!!!!!!!!

The Thermalright is pretty big, but it is doing well. I opted not to install a fan on account of the 120mm's being able to blow over the top of the vid card, so the HR should get some airflow from that. The whole reason for buting it was no noise, so no extra fan was very much desired. The chipset temp is currently at 37C, and the range for today has been 35-43C (I had a brief gaming session on NFSMW to test the PSU issue). The only thing I don't like about the cooler is the "ghetto" mod of putting zip ties on it to keep it from touching the card. :rolleyes:

As for the front panel, yes, I did paint it. The bluish tint is just a reflection in the glossy paint. I did not paint the drive bay covers though, so the top two 5.25" bays right now are glowing from the Tt Thunderblades I have installed in the top.

On a side note, I just home from school and found the mail had delivered my Masterkleer tuning, and shortly after the UPS man dropped off my GXS and PSU tester. Hopefully I can get those taken care of before the wifey comes home. I hope the PSU is the problem, but in a way I don't. I can't sell the old one if it's bad... ;)

Well, I finally got the OCZ in. The 12v rail looks awesome. The old Sintek would do about 11.8-11.97v most of the time, and I saw it dropped down to 11.65v today during my game session. With the OCZ 12v is sitting at 12.1-12.17v, but I haven't had a chance to load it up. The black mesh on the back matches the mesh I have fairly closely, so it's even cooler. I was totally surprised how small it was compared to my Sintek, which is huge because of the extra 80m exhaust fan. It's got a wholw lot of extra wires though, which is kinda a hassle to manage. I'll have to work on that some more when I put the water in (hopefully next week).

Carl has been gereous enough to sell me his unused HDD cage, so I plan on adding that in as well next week. I am starting to have too much I wan't to do again and not enough time to do it. I plan on getting som more pics up soon, I promise... :D

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks. I'm honored your only post so far is in my mod thread. :)

Here's the long awaited update:

I had last Wednesday off from school, so I dedicated it to my mod. Thanks to Carl, I had his extra HDD cage. I cut the bottom off and used some ol' JB Weld and attached it to the bottom of my HDD cage. Here's some serious clamping action:

dsc04572ze5.th.jpg

Here is the Storm rev 1 CPU block and the lap job on it I did the day before:

dsc04566lt7.th.jpg

While I had everything out of the case, I decide to open up the shelf below the PSU and top of the case to assist with extra roon to pass wires and tubing:

dsc04570ap8.th.jpg

Here are some pics of the new black GTS 360 dual-flow installed:

dsc04567va7.th.jpg dsc04573iq2.th.jpg dsc04569nc0.th.jpg

You can see there is quite a bit more room now behind the rad at the back of the case. The X-flow pushed the mesh out slightly, and now there's about 3/8'" between the two.

Here's a shot of the inards sans wires:

dsc04574gi3.th.jpg

A close-up of the HR-05-SLI and a bit of the VF900-Cu:

dsc04575ju5.th.jpg

Look - it's Crazy Carl's Chrome Tape!!! Who's that ugly bastage:

dsc04576fd4.th.jpg

I wish I could have left the HDD cages out, but with the extra space required by the GTS360 I needed somewhere to put the drives. The mod to add more HDD room was solely to help with the heat of the drives. I noticed several times that I could feel serious heat radiating from the side of the case where the drives are. Three HDD's and a floppy in 4" of space is not a good thing, especially when there's no airflow anywhere near it. I had a couple weird instances with storage lately that makes me think the heat was causing it, like one day my cookies dissapeared while I was surfing and had to log into all my forums again. Now there is not any heat that I can feel coming from the side.

The bad part of the HDD cage add-on was that tubing runs were a bit harder than expected. There isn't much room between the end of the X1900XT and the bottom HDD.

One bad note: Wednesday night after the work was complete I was using the PC and everything was fine. I decided to put the side panel back on, but I needed to play with the tubing a little to get it out of the way. In the process I think I bumped a SATA cable, because Windows started acting funny. I went to reboot, but the PC would not get past the WinXP progress bar. I ended up having to do a sector by sector copy of the raid array to my 200GB PATA and reinstall XP. Everything seems fine now, but it just goes to show you once again that there's no room in this case. I don't know if the mod is completely done yet, but I think after it is, and after I can get the extra money saved up, I'm going to look into a Stacker or something similar. Then I'll have something else to mod... ;)

You know t_ski you do some fineaz work.

I'm with Wangerin, props for stickin' it through to the end.

The case can throw a lot of curve balls at ya.

Very nice work with the modders mesh and your cuts are awesome.

(Really wish I would have opened up the section/ledge below the PSU a couple of inches myself after seeing yours.)

The GTS 360 looks fantastic installed.

And I think the Chrome Mirror Tape makes the case look bigger and classy.

You should be really proud of yourself Bro, Hell of a nice job!