Watercooling my $19.99 case (t_ski's version)

I think I have solved the issue of the spacer. I picked up some foam weatherstripping tonight that should do the trick. Also picked up a can of Krylon H2O black paint. Some very nice high-gloss stuff.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Halvis
Totally impressive. The build is awesome so far.

can't believe all the tools you have. jealous as hale.

kee[ up the fantastic work t_ski!

I can't believe the ORGANIZATION of said toolage! WOW!

I can't believe the ORGANIZATION of said toolage! WOW!

It took weeks to get everything where it is. Started putting things up, moved some stuff here and there, making room for others and such. I still have about 5 feet of blank wall space above the bench for more if needed.

Disturbed, have you done that mod on a case you own already, or was that your idea for this case? I wouldn't mind if you posted a pic of it if you have done it already. As for my reasoning behind it, I try to do everything with as little air restriction as possible. If I cut three circles for the rad, I'd have a ton of blocked air. Even if I were to use the templates HG has posted there is still blocked space. To me, I might as well just leave the case as it was if I'm going to sacrifice any airflow. As I stated before, that's my #1 goal in this mod: improving airflow.

I managed to grab a couple hours between classes and got a few things done. I deburred the screw holes around the rad, I sanded down the top of the case, and was able to trow on a few coats of paint to the top. I also was able to lay out the fan mount holes for the two 120mm's in the side. I have a peice of modder's mesh on order from a guy in another forum, and I'm hoping that it arrives soon. Then I can start filling in a few areas and get moved into the case.

More to come...

Not without doing some major fabrication. At best you could pit dual 80's, maybe 92's at the top rear, and that's it. :( That's why I chose to just replace a lot of the areas with open mesh.

Man, I just feel like I've got too much crap going on today!!! Aside from starting school and working on this mod, I'm adding a half-bath to my home, plus trying to negotiate a new car purchase (one not going as well as planned either). Still I'm trying to spend as much time as possible getting this mod done while the weather is decent and before things really start getting heavy with schoolwork. So, onto today's progress!

First, my recently aquired modding supplies:

The mentioned weatherstripping, some JB Weld for adding the mesh, the Krylon H2O paint, and some liquid refreshment. (The fan templates again did not print out the right size so I wasn't able to use them. :( )

dsc04516hv8.th.jpg

These are the #6-32 x 3/8" socket cap screws I plan on using for the grills. I was actually hoping for button head screws, but I can't find them locally. I'll probably add some gloss to these when I get ready to install them.

dsc04517qu9.th.jpg

Here is the top of the case lightly sanded and with a couple quick coats of paint:

dsc04520ae5.th.jpg

And this is the side panel with the two 120mm fans laid out waiting to be cut:

dsc04521zc3.th.jpg

These will have some modder's mesh behind the panel but over the fans. I have an idea that I think is unique for the window on this side that will go above these fans and go far enough to the left to remove the 80mm fan hole seen above them.

Finally since I've had a few remarks on the tooling and my possibly anal organization skills, I present the following:

dsc04518xw8.th.jpg dsc04519ro5.th.jpg

So yes, I do have a ton of tools. Yes, most of them are well organized. But other than that, I have a terrible time trying to keep my workbench clean! :( You can see all my packing supplies and some of the stuff I'm trying to sell, as well as boxes for the stuff I normally would be keeping in the house, but now are being stored outside while I renovate the bathroom.