Upgrade from 3000+ to 4400+ and no boot

Got my new (DFI recommended) Enermax PSU I got it today, plugged it in with my 3000 to test and it shutdown on it's own just after windows started. I turned it on again and left it priming for about 30mins and it was ok. Then when i clicked start -> turn off computer it went straight off (usually it says standby/turn off/log out).

I probably should have investigated further at this point but I was keen to put my 4400 in and see if it worked. It didn't. Briefly. When i hit the power button the fans spun a little then everything stopped. I realised I hadn't cleared CMOS, so did that and it booted. Went into BIOS and made some changes and when I went to save and reboot it turned off again. power button was back to brief fan spin then off. cleared cmos again, booted into bios, load optimised defaults, save and reboot, fine until windows starts loading then off again. Needs CMOS clear again, tried a second time and again it turned off while loading windows, but this time a fair bit further in.

I have currently got it clearing CMOS with the battery out, anyone got any suggestions?

EDIT: removed useless stuff.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK, been running memtest without a problem, so I am hoping the shutdown issue will be solved with a reinstall of windows, which I am now doing.

I have discovered than when the power button just makes the fans spin a little before stopping if I keen pressing it eventually the PC will start. This behaviour appears to have stopped for now, I am not sure why.

I will see how I go with the windows reinstall.

EDIT: Nope, no good, shut down during windows install. Also, I have noticed often when it is meant to reboot such as after saving BIOS settings and during the windows installation it turns off instead. It sometimes starts up straight away after this, sometimes it takes a few tries.

I'm giving up for now, going out for the evening, looking forward to some replies from you guys in the US in the morning.

Is this MOBO in this case or on a box or something outside the case?

This usually occurs because of a RAM problem, case short, or you have something not plugged in like the 4 pin molex and/or the 4 pin 12V "graphics" connector, you have a 6600gt so I don't think thats the problem, I also recommend installing an IDE hard drive with a fresh windows xp sp 2 install(any size big enough for xpsp2)to see what, if any, error messages or events occur.

2c,

h

Guest Retratserif

Cant you order a OCZ GamerXstream 700 over seas? It solved all of my booting and LED issues.

I am starting to fear that too.

I did a long CMOS clear overnight, just started it up and it took 2 presses of the button to get going, back to installing windows now.

EDIT: No good, shutdown again.

Is this MOBO in this case or on a box or something outside the case?

This usually occurs because of a RAM problem, case short, or you have something not plugged in like the 4 pin molex and/or the 4 pin 12V "graphics" connector, you have a 6600gt so I don't think thats the problem, I also recommend installing an IDE hard drive with a fresh windows xp sp 2 install(any size big enough for xpsp2)to see what, if any, error messages or events occur.

2c,

h

Mobo is in case, but works fine with the old cpu/power supply in.

Have all 4 power connectors in.

trying to install fresh windows on an IDE drive, but PC shuts down half way through. It does seem to do so during the device detection stage which might indicate something.

Just to clarify, the 3000 works fine, the 4400 shuts itself down for no apparent reason.

Any ideas? This is drivng me nuts.

EDIT: Have been running the 3000 all day, most of the time idle, but with a few burts of prime95 and superpi, it was fine until just then when it shut itself off. So it would appear the new PSU is unstable with both CPU's, just MUCH more unstable with the 4400.

Success!

After reading this thread: http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showthread.php?t=60557

I tried hitting F7 during the windows installer startup and it got all the way through without shutting down. I have put all my components back in and am trying again now.

Last night my PC shutdown a number of times during regular usage with the 3000 in it. I am hoping that maybe this is some kind of software corruption due to all the shutdowns and that a reinstall will fix it.