Upgrade from 3000+ to 4400+ and no boot

Unfortunately the only other PSU's in the house are 300w and less. Apart from another Seasonic S12 - 430W.

I will test the CPU at a mates place this evening, but he also has a 500w Seasonic S12 and a DFI Infinity mobo, so I am not confident.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd try a different memory module.....as in modules chips different to the ones you have on there at the moment.

Arent the 3000+ and 4400+ x 2 using slightly different memory controllers?

So I'd try that.......

I upgraded from 3200+ to 3800+ x2 and at startup, it just says that original CPU settings have been changed that I need to go into the BIOS to re-set it and everything was fine.......

If you're thinking its an under-power issue and have no other qualify PS to try, stick the 3000+ in there and change the DRAM speeds to 100MHz so the CPU will boot at 100 x 9 (half the speed) - stick the the 4400+ x2 and it should boot at half the speed as well which theorectically will consume a little less power......but that's just to test if it is indeed a power issue

OK, new problem then, I have contacted the retailer than I purchased the PSU off and they say that I can't make a warranty claim based on incompatibility. I am fairly sure I read somewhere on these forums that Seasonic have been replacing the PSU's that have been giving trouble. Is that the case? Hopefully I can inform the retailer of this (or go to Seasonic directly).

I dont know about Seasonic PSs since I use Cooler Master PSs.......

I tend to try test / borrow parts from friends first if possible just to make sure which part is at fault before I buy new parts.......

It would be odd that it works on 3000+ but not on 4400+ x2 but you never know....like you said a power issue....then maybe try lowering the CPU~FSB and starting up the machine

And yeah~ if the retailer wont let you return it then go straight to Seasonic...

Which retailer is it?

To be fair it is 9 months old.

I'm not really unhappy with the retailer, and I understand their position, but if Seasonic have a policy of exchanging these things then I may be able to point it out to the them.

It is a smallish store in Melbourne, Australia.

I use to live in Melbourne, Preston, Reservoir then to Boxhill and Blackburn.....lived in Melbourne for 8 years......but I am now in Taiwan

Anyway, back to the topic..........yeah if Seasonic has that policy then definitely make use of it ~ I'm guessing they've encountered similiar problems or enough people have had the same problems so they are happy to exhange it.

So check it out on the Seasonic website and show it to them.....the worst that can happen is that they'll tell you to go directly to Seasonic!

Just of out curiousity, where exactly in Melbourne? Not MSY is it?? MSY is not known for having a good warranty service.....they tell their customers to find original venders directly!!

No, not MSY, although I actually got the new CPU from them. I got the PSU from PC Case Gear, they're an online store, but have a warehouse in Cheltenham.

I have emailed Seasonic, but am yet to hear back from them. Hopefully I can swap it for a new version that works or something.

I have just noticed that apart from the 600w model the Seasonics dont appear to be sold is Aus anymore, so maybe I can sell it for close to the purchase price and get another brand. It's a pity though because I really like the Seasonic, so quiet.

@Kentiad

Seasonic should be able to replace the unit for you. Selling it is your best option when it's replaced.

See if you can get the Fortron Epsilon or OCZ GameXtream units. The 600w and 700w units are extremely good performers and very quiet by all accounts.

@Kentiad

Seasonic should be able to replace the unit for you. Selling it is your best option when it's replaced.

See if you can get the Fortron Epsilon or OCZ GameXtream units. The 600w and 700w units are extremely good performers and very quiet by all accounts.

Unfortunately neither seem to be available in Australia. I just ordered the Enermax Liberty 620w which is on the recommended list. Hopefully this fixes the problem and isn't too noisy.

Thanks for your help.