ZALMAN thermal paste

I just got a ZALMAN CNPS 9500 AM2 2 Ball Green LED Light CPU Cooling Fan/Heatsink

It came with Thermal Greese, but it said I have to spread an even layer all around the chip. I'm worried about bubles - I know that the Artic Silver instructions are to put a small dab in the center. Would I be better off simply getting some Arctic Silver?

And since this question isn't worth a topic of it's own - when I build my computer should I have latex gloves on?

I think the Arctic Silver guide is the best one to follow. I'd suggest using AS Ceramique. I got better results using it that I also used it on my chipsets and gpu's. Of course your results may vary because I reset the HS more than a couple of times till I think I got the best result.

i have always been a fan of spreading around the thermal paste myself. if you just put a blob in the middle and then put the HSF on at an angle, then you run the risk of 'squishing' all the thermal paste to one side. it just doesn't make any sense to me to do it that way. just take the time to spread it around and get a good, even, THIN coat is my suggestion. that has never failed me.

as for the wrist strap, i usually install the power supply first and plug it in. the metal in the case should be grounded at that point and you just touch it to dispell any static charge. of course, try not to move around too much while building the computer (especially on carpet :) ). again, just what i have always done in the past and have never had a problem.

the only reason to wear gloves that i can think of is so that you wouldn't contaminate the clean surfaces of the CPU/GPU/Heatsinks before applying thermal grease. clean them really good and try not to touch them.

I'd like to let you know that thermalpaste isn't deadly to handle. I've had arctic silver all over me from doing various computer builds and redoing them due to people pouring the stuff on like it was water. So no need to use gloves...

Also, water coolant isn't too dangerous for you either, have suck-started enough water cooling kits to know that, but it sure does taste bad!

I'd like to let you know that thermalpaste isn't deadly to handle. I've had arctic silver all over me from doing various computer builds and redoing them due to people pouring the stuff on like it was water. So no need to use gloves...

Also, water coolant isn't too dangerous for you either, have suck-started enough water cooling kits to know that, but it sure does taste bad!

lol wtf.

Unless you're a surgeon, you'll have an easier time doing the work without gloves. Just don't touch any lapped surfaces because of leaving oils on them.

The "one dab in the center" versus "an even thin coat" is a debate that will never have a conclusive answer, much like "less filling"/"tastes great" etc. :D

There's a reason for a little dab, using AS 5. I tried spreading it the first time & it was a B!%CH to spread. After cleaning it off, I went with a little dab. Not sure how AS Ceramique is, but if you go with the guides that are posted here you can't go wrong.