EVGA 7900 series cards artifact/bsod fix?

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

UncleDavid218 get up stand up, stand up for your right, get up stand up, don't give up the fight! :D

gg on getting what you deserve as a paying customer, about freaking time,..

You're gonna like the X2 as they seems to not have the issues the 7900 Series Cards have, that is at the present time.

I'll be getting a 24" LCD in a couple of weeks...

Same reason I try to seek as much power as possible when I can afford it. I mean, my Dell looks alright as long as the resolution doesn't drop below 1280x1024, provided of course that the game doesn't use models and textures that are too low in poly and pixel counts. Amazingly, even some newer games still limit the maximum resolution you can run at, like Dungeon Siege II for example. Anyways, provided the game allows it, I much prefer to game at my monitors native resolution of 1920x1200 whenever I can, even if it means an occasional framerate drop here and there. Games look amazing; add in 4xAA and 16xAF and I'm just happy as a clam hehe. I certainly hope you're as happy with your new monitor and card when you get them. :)

Bad luck spreads all over the world...it seems.

I have my BFG 79gt right here...and guess what? 3dmark06 goes like a charm...then i tryed fear...i thought i saw a little stuttering...but hey...maybe it was..msn? Anyway...i go for Trackmania Sunrise..and it starts artifacting like crazy. Another run of 3dmark06, and now deepfreeze artifacts.

F*** THIS OC cards, im going with asus now....or maybe a 7950gx2. Im tired of this bull crap.

UNcledavid, how did the 7950gx2 went?

Update: I set the core and mem to stock settings (nvidia reference clocks) and it seems to fix things up a bit...but anyway, if i spend my hard earn money on an OC card...i shouldnt have to bring settings down.

Im having a refound...and wait for a 7950gt. Hope this helps someone.

PS: Trackmania Sunrise keeps artifacting...deepfreeze and F.e.a.r. runs smoothly.

Bad luck spreads all over the world...it seems.

I have my BFG 79gt right here...and guess what? 3dmark06 goes like a charm...then i tryed fear...i thought i saw a little stuttering...but hey...maybe it was..msn? Anyway...i go for Trackmania Sunrise..and it starts artifacting like crazy. Another run of 3dmark06, and now deepfreeze artifacts.

F*** THIS OC cards, im going with asus now....or maybe a 7950gx2. Im tired of this bull crap.

UNcledavid, how did the 7950gx2 went?

Update: I set the core and mem to stock settings (nvidia reference clocks) and it seems to fix things up a bit...but anyway, if i spend my hard earn money on an OC card...i shouldnt have to bring settings down.

Im having a refound...and wait for a 7950gt. Hope this helps someone.

PS: Trackmania Sunrise keeps artifacting...deepfreeze and F.e.a.r. runs smoothly.

Mind giving a description of the artifacts? Some types of artifacting can clearly point to video memory, and some to the GPU itself, especially when overclocking is involved. If you're not experiencing all of the points listed in ths first post of this thread, then it is possible that you may not be having the same problem as all the others who do. When it strikes, it seems to be permanent for the most part and not a whole lot helps, especially when it comes to the Deep Freeze test in 3DMark06. For example, you said that turning down the clock speeds of the core and memory helped mitigate some of the artifacting you were getting and that 3DMark06 ran smoothly again, which based on my travels is something I haven't really seen work for anyone having the full gamut of listed issues. This means you could be experiencing a different problem entirely I suppose. What are your temperatures (core, ambient, and memory if you're able)? Overheating would be my first suspect considering the description you gave. I've found with my eVGA 7800GT CO, which is factory overclocked, that depending on the game, it can start artifacting as low as 65C on the GPU. Usually it shows up as textures flashing. More often symptoms like this don't show up until 70C and higher, but like I said, what 3D software that is running definitely seems to play a part. It's annoying too since, as far as I know, there is no built-in mechanism on Nvidia cards to read what the memory temperature is, and only some cards can read ambient temps. I have a theory that memory temps might help explain why artifacting shows up under the circumstances that I've just described, but I will likely never really know. That is, unless I buy a good temperature probe of course, but I have no plans to do so anytime soon since it's not super important (annoying yes, but doesn't cause any problems) and the card is being replaced soon anyways. But I digress. To wrap up my rather long-winded post, a clearer description of all the issues you've been seeing, your temperatures, and exactly what kind of artifacting you are seeing will help a lot for folks trying to help you out. Take care, and hopefully with a little luck you'll be able to avoid going through an annoying RMA process. ;)

The card is idling at 40c and full load at 55/60c ...temperatures doesnt seem to be the problem.

The artifacts i see in 3dmark are poligon tearing up, or taking half of the screen with weird colors...shades of black/green most of the time...all screwd up.

After bringing down the clocks to reference settings (450/330) from 475/340 3dmark´s deep freeze runs smoothly. Fear too. BUT trackmania sunrise keeps artifacting.

What i noticed is that if i bring down the clocks, it doenst have that blinking desktop thing. Anyway...i had to restart my comp...so i restart, load up ATItool to bring down the core and mem clocks again, and it seems like it makes the blinking desktop thing pop up again...as soon as i open atitool.

Maybe its something with changing clocks on the fly.

The card is going to buenos aires this monday...my friend/reseller its going to send me his 7800gt, so i can play some games for this days...and wait for 7950gt to be available down here.

Anyway, it seems like EVERYONE is having issues with this cards....sooner or later artifacts start to appear. I hope 7950gt´s are more refined and tested before they leave the manufacturing process.

Sorry for my bad english.

yea artifacts together with a blinking desktop at below advertise or stock speed is unacceptable and you should get a replacement card.

My second RMA seems to be worst than my last card as it's giving me scores at an average of 500 points less than old card, gonna tweak it some more before I decide to RMA once again. Eitherway, I'm happy with how EVGA is handling the return process :)

I will post some results this weekend.