EVGA 7900 series cards artifact/bsod fix?

Did you try disabling PEG Link on your ASUS board in BIOS?

this works for some but not all. as raising your PCI-e does.

whats that again, been bussy with work, haven't got a change to look at the BIOS alot, well only had the board for abt 2 months or so, its an awesome one, I still miss my DFI Ultra-D, easiest board I have ever used, easy to setup, easy to OC. Just few things I didn't really mind, but I think DFI shud improve on is, put onboard graphics instead of the KArjan card they had (isn't that gr8), secondly on the pwm ic chip, they should put some sort of cooling, or provide an additional fan (like asus do, only used if water cooling, but they do have something). And lastly the chipset fan on some DFI boards, is at a very bad place. But as I said I got everything worked, I got a SI-120 with the wing on the RAM, also have cooling to the mofsets and pwmic, changed my chipset fan to the evercool suggested one, and lastly the audio, just hung on to it lol :P.

Hey but likewhoa, thanks for the advice, I will try it out, maybe tomorrow (its 3 a.m. lol), and will let ya know.

U rock Bro :):P

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

whats that again, been bussy with work, haven't got a change to look at the BIOS alot, well only had the board for abt 2 months or so, its an awesome one, I still miss my DFI Ultra-D, easiest board I have ever used, easy to setup, easy to OC. Just few things I didn't really mind, but I think DFI shud improve on is, put onboard graphics instead of the KArjan card they had (isn't that gr8), secondly on the pwm ic chip, they should put some sort of cooling, or provide an additional fan (like asus do, only used if water cooling, but they do have something). And lastly the chipset fan on some DFI boards, is at a very bad place. But as I said I got everything worked, I got a SI-120 with the wing on the RAM, also have cooling to the mofsets and pwmic, changed my chipset fan to the evercool suggested one, and lastly the audio, just hung on to it lol :P.

Hey but likewhoa, thanks for the advice, I will try it out, maybe tomorrow (its 3 a.m. lol), and will let ya know.

U rock Bro :):P

here is some info from asus about peglink

This latest technology, PEG (PCI Express Graphics) Link Mode, is a unique feature that enables users to boost graphics card performance for superior video quality.

PEG Link allows users to raise GPU and VGA memory throughput via the motherboard BIOS the same way system bus and memory bus are tweaked. PEG Link Mode enables powerful video performance on DX8 and DX9 applications. ASUS engineers carefully fine-tuned the parameters for every single PCI-Express card to provide system stability during high-speed graphics operation.

Disabling this sometimes fixes problems with artifacts,tearing with video cards, but this has only worked for some and not all. See if it can work for you :D

If you can I would RMA the card eitherway, as both possible fixes are not recommended as long-term solutions.

Good Luck. :D

keep your OS on SATA 3 or 4 as they are locked ports and will avoid corruption by an overclocked PCI-e.

That's only on nForce3. On nForce4, all SATA ports are frequency locked.

Did you try disabling PEG Link on your ASUS board in BIOS?

this works for some but not all. as raising your PCI-e does.

no luck sir, diabled the pen link, tried with stock pci-e, still artifacts, also tried rasing pci-e, still artifacts.

I might just have to underclock the cards. :)

no luck sir, diabled the pen link, tried with stock pci-e, still artifacts, also tried rasing pci-e, still artifacts.

I might just have to underclock the cards. :)

is the warranty on this card done or what? if yes, then you might just have to underclock it :( bummer

Wellp. My 7900GTX just bit the dust this weekend. Multiple circuits near the backside of the 6pin power connector are visably burnt/corroded? No water spilt on it either, gosh darnit. I guess I found what was causing my SLI crashes. Thank god they accepted my RMA, had to throw the stock cooler back on. Thats why I love eVGA.

Might as well add my 'me too' to this thread. :P

I just bought two BFG 7900GTX OC cards a week ago to replace my single eVGA 7800GT CO, and it's been a nightmare ever since. The BFG cards suffer from nearly all of the symptoms listed in the first post of this thread. Neither card will work properly when solo either, suffering from the exact same issues as when in SLI mode, yet the eVGA card still works fine when put back in.

I've tried absolutely everything I can think of, and have definitely ruled out my power supply, system overclocking, and overheating as possible culprits. Underclocking the cards doesn't help either, nor do clean installs using different Forceware versions.

I haven't tried 3dMark06, but in 3dMark05 my PC freezes up with an infinite loop error every time it gets to the CPU test. Out of many runs so far, it's only passed the whole 3dMark05 test once, and was over 1600 marks lower than what my eVGA usually scores (which is around 6771). If I am lucky enough that my PC doesn't freeze, I end up with a corrupted desktop exactly as described in point four of the first post. This also happens when exiting any game pretty much; FEAR, Fable, Battlefield 2, etc; that is if the game has frozen my system up yet.

I am at my wits end, and starting to wish I had never bought these two 7900GTX cards. I guess all I can do is try to RMA them and hope for the best. I suppose I could try to get NCIX, where I bought them from, to refund my money or take them back in exchange for a 7950 instead. I may try altering the PCI-E frequency later today to see if that helps, but the reports I keep seeing of drive corruption kind of worries me. Guess I'll try installing 3dMark06 and check out the Deep Freeze test as well, though I'm sure my experience will be the same as everone else whomis also having these problems.

Thanks for letting me vent. It's good to know I'm not alone. ;)