ViewSonic VA1912wb Black 19" DVI 8ms Widescreen LCD?

Angry_Games

I too would trust a friend I know personally more than I would trust someone else online so don't blame ya there. And like you said, I did not know before my 1st reply that you had previous xp with the Dell 24"ers. That doesn't change my view but it is an important point that makes all the difference in the world because if it makes you happy who cares what others think?. It sounds like it meets everything you look for in a monitor, so in your case it is totally worth it.

When I say its a really nice monitor I'm not just saying it to make peace (i don't work like that). It really is and I thought about getting one myself at one point. It just doesn't meet my expectations of a $750 monitor - if it was in the $300 or maaaybe in the $400 range I'd be all over it. I'd sacrifice the response time for the nice picture. But if I went with that monitor my 6800GT would struggle to power it and I'm not even sure my 7800GT would do the trick so I'd probably have to pony up another $300. I have a 8ms monitor running at 1280 resolution and there is already more video lag than there should be so I know my current card wouldn't do well at 1600 resolution - let alone 1920x1200. I'd either have to knock the resolution down, lower my game settings, or do both like my friends do. I'll work hard to get something expensive if I really want it bad enough, but I'm also really lazy in that it better be worth it to where I don't have to make concessions when I get said expensive item.

So TO ME that is over $1g to upgrade my monitor. For me to spend that much money you better believe I will have high expectations. This isn't a different strokes for different folks, so much as it is a different situations call for different needs.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well, lets put it this way today lol

my two Viewsonic VA1912wb's arrived today

I have one up and running, and I have to say that it is stunning...I really thought my Samsung 915N was great, and I thought CPU Killer's 24" was great ( and I still do, but I don't get to see it every day in action lol), but I have to say the clarity of the Viewsonic is...well...incredible. Much better than my Samsung was it seems, but maybe that is just because I have looked at it's screen for so long?

With the right Viewsonic driver in, we gave it a whirl in Titan Quest and it supports widescreen and the game looked better than ever.

momma got my brother's older VX912 or whatever Gateway (it is actually a Mitsubishi monitor and was about $500 when my brother bought it brand new, and it is still awesome and the only monitor in the lab that will do a true 1600x1200), to replace some lame cheapo 19" CRT that claimed to do 1600x1200 but everytime I ever tried, it was all messed up, and for the last 6 months it has had a zillion black lines across the top for about 5 minutes after turning on...they eventually went away, you could tell that everything was getting a little more fuzzy each time I had to sit down and look at it (about once every two weeks maybe to do something on her machine).

Compared to my Samsung LCD, it was a pile of crap and hard to make out small text. Games still looked ok, but not like they did when it was brand new, and not even close to my Samsung...which is not even close to my Viewsonic.

Both of my LCD's are 8ms, but I think the Viewsonic is a lot more realistic. It doesn't have the strange 'lag' that is not ghosting, and is not corruption, but it seems like the screen sometimes doesn't refresh fast enough...it's hard to explain but I've seen LCD's that ghost (many many different ones at that) and it isn't ghosting...and the last driver for the monitor was 2005 and that doesn't make it any better.

But anyway...I thought maybe a 19" widescreen that does 1440x900 would not be as nice as a 20" or even my old 19" Samsung 4:3....but I'm still amazed.

I can't wait to get a real desk so I can have a second one up for some extended desktop (just for a little bit...just to sit down to it for maybe a week then the second monitor will go to the 3750Mhz dual-core Pentium D for vid editing etc so I can get back to making good tutorials for you guys)

I still wish I had purchased the Dell 24"...but I got two 19" widescreens for a bit more than half of a single 24" Dell ;)

...and it's awesome. Good color saturation, contrast and speed and not too expensive.

got mine shipped to my door for less than 200 dollars US... and it has auto interpolation to widescreen for odd resolutions or 4:3 and BOTH DVI and Analog inputs...

Highly recommended for awesome video on a budget.

yep as each day passes, I am loving it more and more and more and more!

just played Prey on it and it took some cfg editing to get 1440x900...and it works, but I have to say I am just not impressed with Prey...its just another FPS and FPS games have kinda just grown stale and unimpressive other than Oblivion

wow..... this VA1912wb is even cheaper than the Samsung 940BW im planning to get....

almost identical specs.... only the bezel is bigger.... i think ill go wit the samsung......

im a biased samsung fanboy thx to its zero-dead-pixel warranty....

ps: so the "low" 500:1 contrast ratio... nobody complains about them?

ps: so the "low" 500:1 contrast ratio... nobody complains about them?

every mfg has a different idea of how to rate their contrast ratios etc

its like flow rates and temps on watercooling...every watercooling mfg will show you test results that show their product to be superior.

LCD mfg's are the same when it comes to cd/m2 and contrast and such...500:1 might be Samsung's rating, but Viewsonic might be the EXACT SAME and only claim 300:1, or might claim 700:1 etc

I love Samsung monitors too, but I'm very much in love with my Viewsonics now

That's awesome Happy. Not suprised you are enjoying those 1912wb monitors, but still good to hear from someone who owns them and uses them day to day. I haven't actually purchased the VX922 I have in my sig yet so I been thinking of getting a 20.1'er. Though I been thinking of the ViewSonic VX2025WM (native Widescreen).

You are right on about the Contrast Ratio being different for each company. My current computer is using a Samsung 940b (8ms, 700:1) ...whenever I am home and got some free time I am on it since I'm not really into TV much. I got my parents a ViewSonic VX924 (550:1) which on paper should be noticeably worse than my Samsung, but I tell ya... I would trade them my Samsung in a second if they lived in the same city. Everything is better with their ViewSonic - backlight, colors, display in general, response time, you name it. After I saw the ViewSonic I bought them I was pissed... especially since they don't use the computer. :)

So this time I'm getting a ViewSonic, still not sure what model (VX922, VX930b, VA1912wb, VX2025wm) but I'm pretty much all about ViewSonic at the moment. Even though I don't really watch movies on my 'puter (that would be the VX922's weakside), I am wondering if I got the VX2025 if I would actually start. :P

How is the gaming performance on those LCD's Happy? I'm still a big CRT fan, but looking at the tech thats been coming out, the monitors seem to be getting much better than they were.

I've also been looking at the same choices Fogel has been eyeing, and its tough.

You could get the OEM VX922 with its 2ms for a dollar more at newegg. Sorry, just noticed you already had them. I love Viewsonic's, and two 19" widescreens are better than one!

Yeah, the VX922 is great for gaming, but you should see how it does on DVD Playback! :(