Socket LGA775 Discussion Thread

• Replies 719
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After waiting til I got my evga 8800gtx installed and the latest 12/01/2006 bios was out of beta I finally started working on my benchmarks. I can post beep and boot to desktop with 411x9 but it locks up. I can game and burn dvd's with 400x9 but only 2 hours orthos stable. I wanted to buy good, better ram but i needed to get a new monitor and video card instead. *I tried to fill out my copy of DFI infinity 975x/g template in notepad and didnt notice that wordwrap was enabled. After I posted I noticed Wordwrap cut some words in half onto the next line and my thumbnail links appeared as text. Had to fix that, sorry.

• 3 weeks later...

well Im gonna have the first non-DFI board in the OCDB!

got a Gigabyte GA-965P-S3 sitting here waiting for me to finish 3dmark06

easy 3Ghz on an E6400...I was surprised...but then not really (I've always known other boards overclock as well as DFI boards, but I've just never had reason to try one out until now!)

well Im gonna have the first non-DFI board in the OCDB!

got a Gigabyte GA-965P-S3 sitting here waiting for me to finish 3dmark06

easy 3Ghz on an E6400...I was surprised...but then not really (I've always known other boards overclock as well as DFI boards, but I've just never had reason to try one out until now!)

Traitor!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

It's all good...I always did want to see more than one brand and now it appears I get my wish.

Good to have the "Street" back on line..........................

great thing about this Gigabyte board is it's price!

$109!

(only a single PCI-E 16x lane though, but so what....if you have a top gpu you don't need SLI/Crossfire)

So what ? I purchased my Infinity 975 x/g brand new for 89euros (about 105 USD) :D

Ahhh....let the games begin :D

Gigabyte price is good...and afterall, isn't the whole point of overclocking in it's essence to buy cheap and clock high??? The Fini is definitely my favorite 975 board so far, but please, clock em' high and then declare a winner....if a winner could even be declared ;)

Ahhh....let the games begin :D

Gigabyte price is good...and afterall, isn't the whole point of overclocking in it's essence to buy cheap and clock high??? The Fini is definitely my favorite 975 board so far, but please, clock em' high and then declare a winner....if a winner could even be declared ;)

here's my emerging attitude (and if you don't agree with it, its cool)

the top cpu's in the line are $800-$1200 right?

so for 3Ghz Core2 Extreme 6800, its still over $800, and my idea of a killer amount of bang for the buck is getting 3Ghz without raising a single voltage out of an E6400 that costs only $200 (and soon the E4300 for about $160).

Since I've not raised any voltages really, I'm getting $800+ worth of cpu for only $200.

I'm done with the whole "EXTREME CLOCK UNTIL YOUR TESTICLES BURST FROM THE NUCLEAR EXPLOSION'S OVERPRESSURE" nonsense. (nonsense to me, don't be offended if you dig exploding sacs)

I want to show people how to get the top of the line performance without buying top of the line (if possible).

My AMD64 stuff...I usually get 2Ghz cpu's and clock them up to 2600-2800Mhz (FX- series stuff for $800+).

That to me is top of the line performance.

overclocking beyond that does not fall into such a naming convention because you cannot buy 3.6Ghz core2 cpu's or 3200Mhz AMD64 cpu's.

This doesn't mean that it's stupid, but to get those kinds of speeds requires usually a lot more effort (and money for the hardware). Not always, but almost always ;).

You guys, I don't expect NOR WANT you stop going as far as you can. Between you guys, me and us middle-of-the-roaders, and the no-clock dudes who never clock, only buy stock, and it usually aint top-end stock either, we are a complete circle of life I guess (without all the femininity lol...a Royal Rumble ok thats what we are, we are like all 32 WWE wrasslers all in the ring together cuz thats a lot less womanly than a cirlce of life i guess...even though the WWE wrasslin thing is really kinda weak and sissy honestly...OK ANYWAY lol)

*ahem*

thats just where I'm gonna be from now on I think. Once in a while I'll go for broke, sure, that's in my blood. I mean, once in a while I still try to gun the engine in my 1993 Merc Tracer station wagon just to hear the front tires squeal just a little so i can tell myself "yep, I'm still a little bit badass, you betcha!" and smile as I drive on. So I'll still try for the "broke my cpu" point in overclocking here and there.

Allllll right....food is...now!

680i template? :) wanna show off the quad

read the rules...tells you to make one if you the first dude that's wanting to show it off.

Take some bios pics of the important bits that relate to overclocking, make a fresh template (using an existing template for direction like I have with the new Gigabyte template), and then post it to one of the moderators in PM.

The mod will post it in the Admin section and we'll approve it or tinker with it a little or ask you for more bits or info whatever to make it right, then we'll save it as the template for that board, host it and you get to be the first GI Joe to show off his board's kung-fu grip ;)

http://www.diy-street.com/forum/showthread...8053#post688053

Now, I've just broken the 'race' barrier as it pertains to motherboards on this forum finally lol.

Some of you are not all that happy. Some of you are more than happy about the change.

I am excited. I've got the first entry into a new day for DIY-Street. It ain't no record-breaking clock or nothing like that. It's simply the first board that isn't a DFI motherboard to make it into the Database (technically I have an Asus P5WD2-E board with all the requirements done etc and it was even posted in teh DFI section, but I could never put it in the ODCB nor SSDB cuz it was...an ASUS!).

Hopefully a long succession of different flavors will follow!

Thanks everyone for sticking around for the change!