For all you WD owners...

Guest Kobalt_merged

Truthfully, I know it's bad for the env.

isnt everything bad for the environment thease days?

i bought a 250GB WD HDD (in my sig) and it only has 233GB. thats 7.2% less than advertised...and i care because.......? honestly, if i was going to use 240GB, i wouldnt have bought a 250GB HDD, i would have gone for a 300 or 400GB. and if you think about it, WD did pretty good at finding out the size of the hard drive. think (and i hope this is correct) 233GB = 2,001,454,759,936 bits..and each bit of a hard drive is 2 magnets, together = 1 apart = 0. that means that on my HD there are 4,002,909,519,872 magnets..on probably 4 3.5" platters! that in itself is an acomplishment IMO. dont classy lady to a company because they ripped you off of about 150 million bits, they gave me 2 billion bits for 100 bucks i mean come on.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Kobalt
I think you already refuted your own argument... and explain its origin.

I live in what could be considered a castle, and its a small house... my dad's however is quite diferent. Concrete, bricks, still armor and concrete to build colums... maybe in some northern places where cold weather is extreme this type of homes would not be a good idea, but other than that I don't know why people in some countries like to build with wood instead of stronger more durable materials.

Since this topic has spawned off several discussions, one more won't hurt. :)

Hey Sorrento, did you vote yet?

Wonder who will win?

Since this topic has spawned off several discussions, one more won't hurt. :)

Hey Sorrento, did you vote yet?

Wonder who will win?

HAHA, well there is certain someone I DON'T WANT TO SEE WIN :mad:

Well, these are actually two... first one is Benjamin Clariond... grrrr :mad:

I know his brother well, Jose (president of LTH) and he says terrible things about his brother... nobody in his family like him anymore... he is the black sheep of the family. I have to agree since I know things myself.

The other one I don't like, you already know this weird person: el Pejelagarto :mad:

But if these two rats win I will accept it... not like it, but I have to agree they won fair and square.

Did you voted? You still have until 6 pm to do so!!!!!!!

You'll find a number of ISP's pulling the same stunt with their download limits.

Ohh, good point :eek:

Friend from Australia (Internode ISP) tells me about this weird download limit... I will my friend about this, it should not be as wrong as with the HDD.

I don't know why people in some countries like to build with wood instead of stronger more durable materials.

Why doesn't everybody here build their computers with a 1kW PCP&C power supply? It's the strongest and most durable PSU out there right now, right?

I live in the midwestern US, and really, around here there's no serious threats. We don't get hurricanes. We don't get earthquakes (although geologists says we're overdue for the "super duper ultra mega big one" along the New Madrid fault, but whatever). The tornado sirens go off about once or twice a year in spring or early summer but nobody pays any attention to them; only once every 10 years or so is there ever any serious structual damage (trees are a different story), and even then the damage is usually confined to a city block, subdivision, or well-placed trailer park. I myself have never seen a tornado in real life, despite living in the "Land of Oz".

It's all about risk vs payoff.

Why doesn't everybody here build their computers with a 1kW PCP&C power supply? It's the strongest and most durable PSU out there right now, right?

There are very few rigs that actually need that kind of power.

The OCZ GameXtream 600W and 700W units will suffice for most users.

Besides PCP&C has neglected to respond to a serious configuration issue with their "Graphics" models and DFI boards. It seems that if you use a "Graphics" model, you short two of the rails when you make-up all four/three power connectors on the nF4 Lanpatry/Expert boards.

Several forum members have encountered this issue and gotten bad advice back from PCP&C to disconnect the additional motherboard power connectors.

I've emailed the president of PCP&C with this issue as well as providing links to the relevant threads but gotten no response.

On the other hand, the "Sever" version of their power supplies does not have this issue. THunDA has been running his rig for a while with a PCP&C 1KW "Server" version.

There are very few rigs that actually need that kind of power.

The OCZ GameXtream 600W and 700W units will suffice for most users.

Besides PCP&C has neglected to respond to a serious configuration issue with their "Graphics" models and DFI boards. It seems that if you use a "Graphics" model, you short two of the rails when you make-up all four/three power connectors on the nF4 Lanpatry/Expert boards.

Several forum members have encountered this issue and gotten bad advice back from PCP&C to disconnect the additional motherboard power connectors.

I've emailed the president of PCP&C with this issue as well as providing links to the relevant threads but gotten no response.

On the other hand, the "Sever" version of their power supplies does not have this issue. THunDA has been running his rig for a while with a PCP&C 1KW "Server" version.

Even off topic ExRoadie's posts are a good source of information and very good to read. Nothing in this universe is perfect, except the universe itself.

zkissane, I don't live inside a computer... so thats not a good comparison. I have 1,100 watts of power inside my gaming rig (signature)... so I have more power than the PC Power & Cooling 1kw psu. Still I consider my house to be the #1 priority, at least way before my computer... and as such I like to live in the best more durable stronger home available; this means cooler during the summer, less noise from the outside, near zero damage during any type of weather catastrophe, and to be honest just peace of mind.

My home is actually "cheap" because it is made of cement blocks, not bricks. Ceramique bricks are better building materials because they are smaller, thus stronger when they form a structure, and have better thermal properties. My dad's house is not only huge in comparison it is also made with bricks and the strongest materials available 38 years ago, which of course are better than today's materials. The house is surrounded by a huge garden in every direction and it has several huge trees in it... its as big and expensive as any beverly hills mansion, yet over here in Garza Garcia its just above average.

• 2 weeks later...

What about some active loudspeakers for computers? They're constantly sold with overblown "wattage numbers", I.E. even small speakers may have some 80W printed on them. IRL feeding 80 watts to those could make them explode! :rolleyes:

You'll find a number of ISP's pulling the same stunt with their download limits.

Not only that! For example, my ISP (which is quite big in here) defines my ADSL as 8Mbps/1Mbps... which is actually even in theory impossible with dslam's they're using! Theoretical maximum upload bandwidth is only 832-864kbps... and only when computer is directly plugged to dslam! Sad thing is, they're still selling it as 8Mbps/1Mbps line and when complained, the explanation is "that is normal speed for ADSL uplink". :rolleyes:

Funny thing is... before the truth got out, they blamed too long (or bad quality) lines and ADSL modems of customers... or even customers themselves messing up! Now it's suddenly all right and feature of ADSL? If their last excuse is correct, then how come they still use wrong speeds in their ads? :mad:

(Edit: Few typo's)

Guest Kobalt
since its a thread about wd

is it normal for the hdd to be 60deg ? ( according to everest ultimate)

60 C ? That is VERY hot. I suggest you put a fan in front of the HD. Your case don't seem to have very good air flow!

ermmm tbh

there is 120 on the front ( intake)

one 80 on top and one 80 @ bottom

it isnt that hot when i touch it, maybe there is something wrong with the thermostat ( or what it is called)

its only been about 3 months that i bought it