For all you WD owners...

Guest Kobalt_merged

Guest Kobalt
You better bust out a tape measure, unless they mill their own studs. :)

Yeah, in fact they did. They cut it, and sand it for you. the big piece of lumber went through 3 machines before I got them at the end.

I did check the tape, and it is 2" x 4" exact.

His only question was what I was going to use it for, and it is not for building stuff. It is to board up a window.

Now I am wondering, why would other places not be 2"x4" Is it expansion?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well any lumberyard and home improvent store will laugh at you if you insist on a true 2x4. Obviously we weren't talking about custom cut pieces, but mass produced building material.:rolleyes:

Now I am wondering, why would other places not be 2"x4" Is it expansion?

No, it’s contraction and milling.

All lumber has 2 sizes. A nominal and actual.

The nominal size is the size of a piece of lumber before it is dressed and seasoned. It designates the beginning or initial size of a piece of lumber, such as 2x4, 2x6, etc.

The actual size refers to the minimum acceptable size after it has been dressed and seasoned. A nominal 2x4 can have a minimum actual size of 1 1/2" x 3 1/2". (Note: my previous post said 1 3/4” in error.)

When referring to a specific piece of lumber, the nominal (beginning) size is used, not the actual (finished) size.

Adobe??? Like dirt is a better building material?!?! LOL

If it were entirely dirt, it would be funny. But I believe there is some grass/hay/straw thrown in the mix somewhere. Adobe huts is serious business :P

If it were entirely dirt, it would be funny.

Yeah, I was just being a smartass. LOL

I've seen some adobe structures in South America that are over 1,000 years old.

I like the fact that by including animal dung you repel insects. Now isn't that a contradiction? Every time I see a pile of fresh cow dung, there's always flies buzzing about it. Do you have to wait for it to turn rotten before you use the dung?

Brings a whole new meaning to "crappy house"!

link goodness...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adobe

I know, I was being smart back. (double LOL...)? Hence the serious business, few things are as serious down south - adobe and afternoon siesta's, with the possibile exception of futbol.

I'm with you on the dung confusion, nature uses it though (dung beetles) so it must be ok...

Congrats on the 8,000th post!

Personally, I prefer Diazinon to dung. Actually, I'd like to see DDT make a comeback.

BTW, I wouldn’t be surprised if you asked most of our younger members, “What’s adobe?” and they’d say “software” not "bricks made of mud, straw and dung".

Guest Kobalt
Personally, I prefer Diazinon to dung. Actually, I'd like to see DDT make a comeback.

BTW, I wouldn’t be surprised if you asked most of our younger members, “What’s adobe?” and they’d say “software” not "bricks made of mud, straw and dung".

DDT? Lots of mosquitoes in your area?

Adobe??? Like dirt is a better building material?!?! LOL

I think you already refuted your own argument... and explain its origin.

I live in what could be considered a castle, and its a small house... my dad's however is quite diferent. Concrete, bricks, still armor and concrete to build colums... maybe in some northern places where cold weather is extreme this type of homes would not be a good idea, but other than that I don't know why people in some countries like to build with wood instead of stronger more durable materials.

Actually, I'd like to see DDT make a comeback

Totally agree.

That stuf rocks.

My grandpa had some stashed away and he forgot he had it, when I was little I took all of it and pour it on those little milk worm things or whatever you call them.

It was pretty cool.

They were melting allmost, also the one tree over my buds where me and him used up the rest of it, turned white on the side where we poured it :).

My grandpa used it on the barn long ago, he does'nt live there anymore, but the effects of it lasted a very very long time, no bee's or anything for the most part in that barn.

Not until sometime just before he sold the house.

Last summer whe I was working for a great uncle, I did'nt much like that guy, anyways he was spraying one day.

It smelled alot like it, I told him it smelled like ddt.

He ask how the hell do I know what ddt smell's like..., because of my age.

I told him about that, and he gave me a big smile, but did'nt say anything else about it.

I dn what it was.

The only reason I knew what my granpa had was ddt is because I once asked him about that stuf I found int eh garage stashed away.

I told him it rocked, I explain what it looked liek somewhat, I forgot now, and he said he totally forgot he still had that.

he would of used the rest up long ago...

Then he told me it was ddt lol.

Good stuff.

Truthfully, I know it's bad for the env.

But around my house, it needs it ^^, badly, so many bugs.

That and a I got a neighbor that has a pond...

I'd go over there and poor it in his darn pond...

Anyways....

Kinda sucks, that lawsuit.

Software I mean, yippy do :.

Seems like it was one big waste of time to even bother sueing wd then, for software lol...

A free basic run of the mill udma 133 or sata controller would of been allright.