For all you WD owners...

Guest Kobalt_merged

Guest Kobalt

Get your free software from the class action lawsuit:

http://www.wdc.com/settlement/

What is the software being offered as the settlement benefit?

The software is EMC Dantz Retrospect Express version 7.5 for Windows users and version 6.1 for Mac users.

Dunno if Dantz is any good or not, but hey, free is free. Though I wish they would stop saying 1MB = 1,000,000. :P

Well, it does cost you postage + printing the documents. I bet it isn't worth it. I bet 99% of us don't even keep receipts that long.

"The serial number can be found on the back of your Western Digital hard drive, after the letters SN or S/N (see below for details). If you no longer have your device, then to obtain the software, you must do the following: (1) print the claim form, (2) fill out your name, address, email address, and estimated date of purchase, (3) check the box declaring the information true under penalty of perjury, (4) sign the page, (5) place the completed page in an envelope along with a copy of the receipt for your hard disk drive or other proof of purchase, and (6) mail or deliver the envelope to WDC Settlement Claim Form POP; 5654 Geary Blvd., #210511; San Francisco, CA 94121. Your envelope must be received (not merely postmarked) no later than 30 days after Final Approval of the settlement. If your claim is valid and timely, Western Digital will email to you at the email address you provided a link which you can use to access the software download"

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Safier (“Plaintiff”) filed a class action lawsuit against Western Digital Corporation (“Defendant” or “WDC”) on behalf of the Class described above. Plaintiff alleges that in the sale and marketing of its hard disk drives, Defendant overstates the useable storage capacity by approximately 7%. According to Plaintiff, when attached to most personal computers, a hard disk drive advertised by Defendant as having “80GB” will only show an available capacity of “74.4GB.” Plaintiff alleges that one reason for this disparity is the use of two different measurements of a “GB.” Plaintiff alleges that computer operating systems compute 1 GB as 1,073,741,824 bytes (the “Binary Definition”), but Defendant and other hard disk drive manufacturers compute 1 GB as 1,000,000,000 bytes (the “Decimal Definition”). Plaintiff alleges that Defendant’s conduct constituted false advertising, unfair business practices, breach of contract, fraud, and violations of the California Consumers Legal Remedies Act. In the Litigation, Plaintiff would seek to recover on behalf of the Class one or more of the following remedies: (a) the right to return their hard disk drives for a full refund; (B) the right to keep their hard disk drives and receive a partial refund of the amount they paid proportional to the amount of capacity that was not provided; © statutory damages for each act of false advertising knowingly directed at a senior citizen; and (d) punitive damages. Class Counsel also seek an injunction requiring Defendant to more accurately disclose the storage capacity of its hard disk drives in advertising, marketing materials, and packaging."

"Safier (“Plaintiff”) filed a class action lawsuit against Western Digital Corporation (“Defendant” or “WDC”) on behalf of the Class described above. Plaintiff alleges that in the sale and marketing of its hard disk drives, Defendant overstates the useable storage capacity by approximately 7%. According to Plaintiff, when attached to most personal computers, a hard disk drive advertised by Defendant as having “80GB” will only show an available capacity of “74.4GB.” Plaintiff alleges that one reason for this disparity is the use of two different measurements of a “GB.” Plaintiff alleges that computer operating systems compute 1 GB as 1,073,741,824 bytes (the “Binary Definition”), but Defendant and other hard disk drive manufacturers compute 1 GB as 1,000,000,000 bytes (the “Decimal Definition”). Plaintiff alleges that Defendant’s conduct constituted false advertising, unfair business practices, breach of contract, fraud, and violations of the California Consumers Legal Remedies Act. In the Litigation, Plaintiff would seek to recover on behalf of the Class one or more of the following remedies: (a) the right to return their hard disk drives for a full refund; (B) the right to keep their hard disk drives and receive a partial refund of the amount they paid proportional to the amount of capacity that was not provided; © statutory damages for each act of false advertising knowingly directed at a senior citizen; and (d) punitive damages. Class Counsel also seek an injunction requiring Defendant to more accurately disclose the storage capacity of its hard disk drives in advertising, marketing materials, and packaging."

I dont know about anyone else, but I got into the assumption that drives were always under their listed capacity, and that was ok. Never knew I could sue for false advertising over it...:rolleyes:

Good point... defendant are wrong!!!! And Decimal has NOTHING to do with the bit, byte, kilobyte, megabyte, gigabyte, terabyte calculation. Decimal is the type of number which use digits, thats 0, 1, 2, 3,... 9, 0... and it was invented by the Arabs a long time ago. The calculation is used in decimal, not binary... I don't see a hard drive storage size that says: 10100000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 :rolleyes:

A byte is 1,024 bits, a kilobyte is 1,024 bytes, a megabyte is 1,024 kilobytes, a gigabyte is 1,024 megabytes...

So, 80 gb should be 80 x 1024 x 1024 x 1024 x 1024 bits... thats 87'960,930'222,080 bits... but thats when they made a mistake, they build their HDD's as 80'000,000'000,000 bits instead, that end up to be a lot less gb than the advertized 80 gb.

I am glad someone sued them, I hope their heads are still spinning... corporate butt, thats why good companies go bad: all their directive level is filled with people that shouldn't be there! :mad:

Whats this law suit about???

What does the software do? I have a ton of WD hard drives... bougth between 2004 and today.

It’s a backup software. I got it when I bought an external Maxtor hard drive. In my opinion, the software sucks. It is the most awful user unfriendly software I think I’ve ever tried to use. Even with tech support, I could never understand this software, and could never get it working. Asking questions on the software in forums ended up with similar stories as mine. I ended up doing some research on backup software, and went with Second Copy. I had it running within 5 minutes of installing it. Works well, and is user friendly.

Guest Kobalt

I forgot to mention what Dantz was.

What I can't understand is why do the lawyers get the cash, and we get crapola software? Lawyers get a cool $500,000.

You just KNOW their next target is going to be Seagate (& maxtor) and hitachi, samsung, and whoever else.

They stand to make $2million if each company settles the same way.

It is pretty glaring now when someone buys a 750GB HD, and formats it, and find they "lost" allot of space. Just wait for the first 1TB HD and watch more lawsuits.

Another worthless lawsuit and settlement that benifits the attourneys only. Like the creative lawsuit that gave the lawyers a great little sum o cash and gave the consumers a discount on merchandise purchased at creative website only. After the discount you couls still purchase any of the products at creative site cheaper elswhere. It's obvious these attourneys bring these lawsuits not to benifit the consumer but to get fees. There has to be a special place in hades for attourneys. :rolleyes: