Worldcup 2006 (merged)

Sorrento

what about angola & ivory coast :)

I was going to say that too :P

Italy played very strong today... too well if you ask me; Italy has always been the team which struggles at the first stage, but once it goes to the second one it is all diferent. Now they are starting strong... does this mean they will suck later? :shake:

Ghana looked well, considering they are an African team (naive, weak attack) I was impressed with they team work... the Czech Republic will have a dificult time with them, and the US... well, if the same US that played the Czechs play against Italy and Ghana, then they will go home with 10 goals against.

The first 1/3 of the first stage hasn't even ended yet, things can change a lot. It is funny how no teams so far have showed any realy strength, the one that showed more was Argentina... but after the halftime they went backwards a little, as if their coach knew that was wrong and took them back a little. All have been this way, maybe Italy has been the one with the strongest game... kind of... tomorrow we will see what France has to show, and of course Brazil. I don't have any simpaty for Croatia so I will be very happy when Adriano scores the 6th goal :nod:

• Replies 409
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Soccer is an "also ran" sport in the US. Their Quarter Final run in 2002 was a fluke of tremendous proportions. Especially the match against Mexico.

Go back and look at video of the matches. It was like the stars lined up and the Soccer Gods in heaven were looking down upon them favorably.

Same thing wasn't gonna happen two WC in a row.

you right we had control of the ball but kept going route one with it, kewell should of been left to go up the wing as he's best there and not very good up the middle. there gonna get clobbered by the brazilians though on the counter the japanese missed to many chances the south americans are not gonna be so kind

Soccer is an "also ran" sport in the US. Their Quarter Final run in 2002 was a fluke of tremendous proportions. Especially the match against Mexico.

Go back and look at video of the matches. It was like the stars lined up and the Soccer Gods in heaven were looking down upon them favorably.

Same thing wasn't gonna happen two WC in a row.

Well said... but this proves how even luck has a part on how things end up to be; by "luck" I mean the random chain of events that lead to a certain result, since there is no such thing as "luck" :)

That game in 2002 still is buried deep in my memories... how the US took advantage of each of the 3 errors Mexico made in that game. It still hurts, and to be honest it is a good thing that happened: Mexico was alone in this "concafkian" soccer zone, and now a new archrival is starting to appear, rivalry is always good and because of this both teams will better themselves.

In this WC qualifying stage the US choose the northern stadium available, with the coldest weather posible... and to avoid any Mexican from attending to the game they gave free tickets to kids in schools and the university; if I am not mistaken it was in the state of Ohio. There was also an issue with the Mexican flag and the Mexican anthem... but I am not sure and I am not going to mention anything more about that incident. On the return to play in Mexico, while the US team was practicing at Stadio Jalisco (Jalisco Stadium), a player called Landon Donovan had the urge to go to the bathroom... but instead of going to the apropiate room he just went behind the floral decoration of the stadium, actually inside the field. The Mexican press was taking pics of the US practice, and of course they took pics of Mr Donovan relieving himself there in public. People didn't like the idea of a gringo being this rude, of course they didn't, and during the game they took every oportunity to show it specially when Donovan took the ball. At one point people started calling to Osama Bin Laden... something like "there he is!"... which IMO was something really funny and also very creative since this was during the game. The US congress later that week made a protest and asked the US president to ask an apology from the Mexican president... which of course wasn't asked or given.

Now Donovan, just 4 days ago, says "I hope Mexico go to the next stage, so maybe we can play against them so we get to humiliate them again"... in Spanish to the Mexican press.

Believe me, I hate Landon Donovan... hehe, but I have to agree I like his attitude. This is the way a rival should be: no insults, no bad manners... but lots of ego in your face. Its a shame the US had a rough time against the Czech Republic today and all said by Donovan went away in the wind... but the rivalry will never go away now, and like I said it will be a healthy thing for both countries.

who would of thought heh aussies 3-1 absolutly spanked the japanese in the last 30 min and had the better of them for most of the match i'm a happy camper now

30 minutes???? Actually it was 7 minutes... 3 goals in 7 minutes :nod:

/Edit:

Kewel and the fat Viduka should have been in the bench, while Kennedy, Aloisi and Cahill should have started the game. Things changed after just 20 seconds when Kennedy started playing. Gus Hiddink is a terrible coach... the result of the game is entirely of the team.

Excuse me, it was 6 minutes :shake: 84", 89" and 92" :rolleyes:

the u.s. is in the bracket of death, they would be lucky to get one win. the best we can expect from them is to show up and make it respectable.....and from the looks of the first game, that's not going to happen!!!!!:shake: :rolleyes: :confused:

the u.s. is in the bracket of death, they would be lucky to get one win. the best we can expect from them is to show up and make it respectable.....and from the looks of the first game, that's not going to happen!!!!!:shake: :rolleyes: :confused:

I wouldn't be so sure... Football (or soccer so you understand :rolleyes: ) is a sport where the future is dificult to predict, you can show me statistics over statistics and in the end the result will be the opposite of the expected one. Thats the beauty of the sport: at certain moment anyone can beat anyone, even the smallest adversaries can defeat the giants.

So, who knows... remember what happened to Italy in Spain 82: they lost their first match, if I remember well, and look at what they achieved in the end.

Trinidad and Tobago are nutters, ended up with only 8 players on the pitch last world cup iirc.

EDIT: no i dont remember correctly, it's their first time In the cup. Must be some other nuttters.

Italy played very strong today... too well if you ask me; Italy has always been the team which struggles at the first stage, but once it goes to the second one it is all diferent. Now they are starting strong... does this mean they will suck later? :shake:

NO THEY WONT!!! THEY WILL ONLY GET BETTER!!!! ITALIAAAAAA!!!!!!! :nod: :shake:

Ghana looked well, considering they are an African team (naive, weak attack) I was impressed with they team work... the Czech Republic will have a dificult time with them, and the US... well, if the same US that played the Czechs play against Italy and Ghana, then they will go home with 10 goals against.

theyre impressive. Ghana that is. some good tries, but not enough power to overcome the powerhouse itali. Czech will have a hard time, but if nobody changes the way they play, Czech will still overcome them...

US might do better, but i believe the other 3 team is still stronger.

yes i kno soccer is a very unpredictable sport sometimes, but if US advances to the next round, then that would be miracolous...... i.e. a miracle. magic. odd.