Now the chipset is overheating...suggestions?

I have had this setup for about 8 months now. The PWM IC chips had some heating problems which I sorted out by putting a fan (120mm) over the ram and PWM IC. I had some other problems with stability and eventually sent the board in for warranty repair. Since the board came back from warranty repair the Chipset wants to over heat. If I play a game like Far Cry or Guild Wars it will heat up to 60C+ and become unstable. The fan is spinning at over 7,000 RPM and the heatsink is to hot to touch so the heatsink must be attached correctly. The voltage to the chipset is set at the default the ambient air temp is in the 80 degree Farenheit range and neither the CPU or the RAM or the PWM IC chips are above 45C at full load.

What gives?

search modifications forum, or just buy an evercool vc-re, since that what a search will lead you to. it replaces the crappy dfi stock chipset fan. there is even a nice video made by HG in the tutorial section on how to install the new cooler

I'd try the Evercool VC-RE first. It's a cheap $7.00 attempt at a solution. Use AS Ceramique or something similar as the TIM. You can also use AS5, but be very careful as it has metal particulate in it that is conductive and could cause a short if you use too much of it.

The Vantec Iceberg also works, just depends on your preference. Is your video card sitting right on top of the chipset? If so, you might consider changing the dual v/c jumpers to 2X8 and putting the video card to the lower of the two pci-e slots.

If its anything like mine, the GFX card is probably virtualy blocking the chipset cooler. Ive done what u did and mounted a 120mm fan in there, a bit lower though so it was blowing over both the PWM IC (sp?) and the chipset. Seems to help, at least the fan doesnt scream like a tortured animal anymore.

Ok,

Thanks guys obviously the heat sink needs to be replaced, I have some AS5 on the shelf so first I will pull the existing sink and replace with AS5. However since the heatsink is already dumping tons of heat (to the point I can't touch it without burning myself). I will have to replace it.

SO, Will it affect my Video card's performance if I move it to the second slot? Because if I do that I can put a large copper heatsink and fan on the chipset and solve it that way. If it will affect my video performance then I will have to go with a low profile cooler that will be more difficult. Will the Evercool VC-RE fit under the video card in the existing space?

yes vc-re is virtually same size as the stock chipset cooler. my 7800gtx fit right over it. but i'm now using the lower slot. if you do so tho you must set the jumpers on the mobo to sli mode so it runs at 8x pcie otherwise your card's going to be running at 2x lol ;)

btw i highly recommend the vc-re it's cheap and works very well. keeps my chipset at 41c full load.

::edit:: i forgot to mention u can find the vc-re installing tutorial vid somewhere on the forum.

... Since the board came back from warranty repair the Chipset wants to over heat. ..... 60C+ and become unstable. ....the heatsink is to hot to touch ..... The voltage to the chipset is set at the default

What gives?

However since the heatsink is already dumping tons of heat (to the point I can't touch it without burning myself). I will have to replace it.

Boy, I hate to say this, but this sounds much more like a bad chipset chip.

The Evercool might prolong it's life by a few weeks, but the stock cooler is clearly working well. If it wasn't it wouldn't be that hot.

And esp. at stock voltages.

No, I think the extra heat is from a dying (but not quite dead) chipset.

I really think you might want to collect your comments from your posts here and PM Happy_Games.

I HOPE I'm wrong, but I doubt it.

Seen it too many times.

However, a faulty chipset fan could also be generating heat itself, complicating the issue. I'm not detracting from Akrlabs' observations, because they are very valid. But RMA means your without your m/b again for however long it takes to return, analyze (repair if necessary) etc.

Personally I'd invest $7.00 first, dab on the AS5, set my jumpers and put my card in the lower slot before the RMA process.

If all of that fails you've effectively ruled out anything but the NF4 chipset fixing to poop.

Is your video card sitting right on top of the chipset? If so, you might consider changing the dual v/c jumpers to 2X8 and putting the video card to the lower of the two pci-e slots.

My apology for the off-topic question!

I had exactly the same question when I first put my X850XT on SLI-DR. The video card is sitting directly on top of the chipset and doesn’t allow me to install a nice passive cooling I’ve bought earlier. I’d appreciate much if you could tell me more about what to do to put my video card in the lower slot. Is all I have to do just move the jumper which allow running SLI mode, then move the card to lower PICe slot? Is it enough?

Is all I have to do just move the jumper which allow running SLI mode, then move the card to lower PICe slot? Is it enough?

Yes that is all you have to do