The AMD 3GHz Club

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think I would go for something a little farther up the food chain or wait for X38 to hit the shelves.

You are kind of SOL having a pair of 8800GTX's though. There aren't any hacked drivers for the 8800 series yet. Any board you buy right now will be a compromise you won't be happy with. My memory is capable of running over 1100 on my subpar abit but does it really matter?

Honestly I'm probably going to go single card soon anyway, I'm more concerned about something that I don't have to worry about burning out from under me like I've heard happens to this board, and something that'll actually let my RAM run at STOCK timings and speed, with my processor at or above where it is right now. Is that too much to ask? It wasn't with my Opty 185. LOL

I know a few people with that board, the 680i is not the baddest thing on the planet for overclocking. It is a decent clocking board with SLI and nothing more. None of my friends have had to RMA theirs so I would say it is reliable. You are asking it to clock a Quad and 4 gigs of DDR2-1066 with limited effort on your part, that isn't going to happen.

You could always hit up a Mushkin tech for some secondary timings. I'm sure they have tested with the board and would have something for ya.

When the board boots does it set at DDR2-800? If it does, the secondaries are probably a little tight for 1066. Just because the memory is rated at 1066 doesn't mean that is STOCK and the board will auto-set for it.

the secondaries at 800 are 4-24-5-9 I believe. For 1066, I've been using 5-32-6-10 cuz that's what it has told me to use... I might as well ask Mushkin though, cuz I want to know if this is common with this kit or if it's definitely my board.

And I'm not asking it to overclock the ram, I'm asking it to run stock and it can't even do that ;)

Right now I'm running at 5-5-5-18-2T with secondaries in the same range as with DDR2-800, at 888MHz with 2.2Vs.

I've tried a whole range of things at 1066MHz, and it either can't make it in to windows, or it fails/reboots/freezes after under 2 hours of testing.

Unlinked. Although it's damn close to 1:1 with the current speeds. 815 which I tested earlier and most likely failed at 7 1/2 hours (freakin' bullcrap man), was 1:1 I believe. Let me check.

Yeah, it's showing 11:12 in CPUz, FSB:DRAM. running at 889MHz, 5-5-5-18-2T With secondaries something like 4-27-5-9 or somethin', 2.1Vs. Dunno what makes me think increasing the speed will help, although I was running 815MHz @ 4-4-4-12-2T instead of the timings I'm using now...

I'm still waiting on Mushkin to send me the stupid confirmation email so a freakin' post! GRRR! I registered 30 damn minutes ago!

Add on:

I know my other 4GB kit, the HP2-6400 set, ran at 1:1 unlinked though, at 815MHz as you see in my sig/OCDB Entry, it even smoked my set of OCZ in memory tests/benchies as well.

I'm basically wanting to get these faster one's stable at some point above that, and right now they aren't doing it, so I'm starting to question whether or not i should just RMA them and keep the other 4 gig set. I don't like the idea of taking a 15% restocking fee hit for that much money though. Main reason I want a stable, fast 4GB kit is for when I do go Vista, I want as much ram available as possible for newer games and apps.