7900 and 7950 !!

Hmm

XFX 7900 GTX XXX edition has 700 Mzh core and 1800 Mzh memory and the 7950 has a 570 Mzh core and 1550 Mhz memory....

Now given that the 7950 is in stock and the 7900 is not............wonder if the 7950 will be any more reliable !!!

Ok A pair of XFX 7900 GTX's in SLI OR a single XFX 7950 GTX card ????

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am waiting for the price to drop on the 7900GTX cards. I have a 6800GT that I am dying to upgrade from. It does confuse me as to why so many reported problems with the 7800 series cards. I have been loyal to Evga and now I am watching XFX7900GTX cards.

I have never run sli and like the best one card option. If the 7950 really spanks the 7900GTX I might hold off a while. Does XFX carry the lifetime warranty still ???

I take it back, evga FINALLY added it to their Step-Up program....$80 later and I've got a 7950. Hope its worth it since I can't use it for a long time (though I won't get it for a long time either...).

i hope evrybody remember, quad sli is currently not supported by nvidia, and no BIOS is able to turn this on...........

altho yes, the possibility is there......

I really doubt many people are planning to run two of these right off the bat, in any case there will be drivers anyways.

eVGa's step-up program is a laugh. I waited two months for a card I couldve picked up from day one.

What do you expect? They have 500 cards reserved for no profit to them at all?

I'm thinking of stepping up myself, for about $60, but i'm worried it wont be compatable with my motherboard. As of now the only listed DFI motherboard listed as supported by evga for the 7950 is the Infinity NF4 sli.

My step up expires in about 15 days...what do you cats think? Is it worth the sixty bucks and compatiblity issues? :confused:

I have had an unfortunate experience with eVGA over the past few weeks, so take this as you will. But honestly I'd stick to whatever works, because there's something going on over there... seems like the newest models (7900gt ko, 7900gtx, etc.) are SUPER prone to problems, I am on card #3 with them and waiting on a 7800GTX b/c i know it's stable. (I borrowed my friend's and it runs like a dream.) though it's nice to know it's not my rig ^^

The 7950 is a mixed blessing deal. My problem with it is 3 things:

1. Just one of these will consume 300watts under load. This means in SLI, 600watts will be consumed! Not practical.

2. Just one of these will consume some good chunk of PCIe bandwidth. Most of us have mobos that will splite the PCIe bus to x8 in SLI which will propose a problem for those that want to eventually SLI the 7950.

3. GPU and RAM have been downclocked, caused my limitations to technology and trying to keep the cooling soulutions to SLI reference. Would like to see this with AC adaters to plug into the product.

Its a great idea BUT there is very limited support for this particular product and is about 8 months ahead of its time. Well need to see PCIe mobos with dedicated x16 per slot in SLI and 1kw PSUs is mainstay before this product will see betters takes. This could explain why the 7950 is on par with $$ with the 7900gtx.