AM2 or Conroe?

Evil_inc

192 members have voted

1. 1.

• AM2
    • Conroe

the Conroe cpu's will be very competitivley priced

Intel learned a hard lesson during the P4 days

1. not only will customers not buy your cpu's if they can't beat the competition's cpu's

but

(and even if your cpu's are better)

2. customers will not buy your cpu's if they are twice the price of the competitor's cpu (and not twice the performance...or anything close to it)

a 2.67Ghz Conroe, which right now will beat the pants off anything AMD has to offer, is slated to go on sale at around a $260 price point.

With DDR2 prices dropping, the overclockable Conroe at this price (dual core and all) is a great deal.

like I always say, and others have said also...it is a waiting game

if you have money to burn (or get it free like I do), then Conroe is defintely for you

if however, you don't have money growing on the tree outside your house, sticking to what you have now and waiting 6 months for both product lines (AM2 and Conroe) to mature is the smart move.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Synchronize

I had the chance to buy an AM2 board and a AM2 socket A64 the other day, gosh it was so tempting but i decided not to as the performance difference isn't really any different to any s939 board/cpu as the only real change is the DDR2 memory and less heat/power consumption. Allthough that might open the door to higher overclocks but for now i think i'll stick with my 939 unless AMD release something for the AM2 that kicks conroe's butt.

I have a quick question, what causes instability in an overclock and what prevents you from running a chip at say 8ghz?

Architecture and the laws of physics will stop you running at 8GHz.

It's like cars and their engines, there's a reason why you can "only" get around 1200hp from a Nissan RB26DET.

Then there is the amount of power needed to power a cpu at higher speeds, there gets a point where you can pump twice as much juice into a cpu and get neglible increases (except in heat).

It's the same reason no-one can run the 100m sprint in 3s. (Prove me wrong sprinters... prove me wrong).

here's what I always say

Until you and I can buy a real Conroe cpu and test it ourselves, benchmarks controlled by Intel or AMD are bogus and should never really be looked at.

I never read any benchmarks or pre/reviews about DFI boards until I have one in my hands, the reviewers have them in their hands. Then it is time to compare.

Conroe won't be out for a while....there is still no one that has one of these chips that is allowed to publicly post about them. Until there are retail chips for sale that work in retail boards with retail RAM and retail video cards, and can be matched against AMD's retail setups...there's nothing to see here, move along.

I have a 4800+ AM2 cpu sitting right next to my mouse...I have no board for it yet...

I have a confirmation that I will get a Conroe cpu for testing about a month before they go retail, but I don't have a board for it....