Are these settings from Angry okay to use for my specs?

Mako3

I agreee in setting the RAM at about 250-265 while you work out what the chip will do, and don't expect 300Mhz out of that RAM. Drop the RAM down to 166 and see what the chip likes in terms of voltage. Refine RAM performance after you've gotten 2.8, 2.9 or whatever you get out of your chip.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

lol, you guys, why would I set my goal to 2.65Ghz when I have already reached 2.75Ghz? It wasnt very stable thts why I was focusing on voltageThnx,

Mako3

If it wasn't stable then you didn't reach 2.75.

Assuming 2.65 was stable go back to that and put your memory at 9:10 and see if it's still stable. If it is then increase HTT a little at a time until you are no longer stable. At that point you will know that you are processor limited. You can either be happy at that frequency or try increasing VCORE a little.

You are going to have to take something out of the loop. With no A64 overclocking experience you will be doing this forever if you don't concentrate on one part at a time.

Praz, once I get my Expert board working or RMA'ed and back working, I will be asking your for some good info on helping me tighten up my timings with my build. I am aiming for the 3000 mark but 2900 will do just fine.

I'd be happy to try to help. But other then some trial and error I haven't done anything that can't be found in one of the guides here.

There is no safe really.. I can set my stuff to 9x320 on stock volts. It won't break, it'll be safe, but no way in hell will it work. :shake:

The voltage, the cooling, and the ambient temperature will determine how safe, if at all, the overclock is.

My room temp is usually high 60s to high 70s F. My cooling is 5x 80mm fans. Yah I went back down to 2.5, but when I had it this weekend at 2.75Ghz and when I ran prime95 torture test, it lasted for 6 hour and then hit a blue screen which displayed memory dump. But today I'm going to try for 2.75 again with higher voltage, and then I'll try the settings tht I posted in here for an attemp at 2.8Ghz.

What do you guys think?

thnx,

Mako3

Looks as though I didn't phrase my question correctly.

What heatsink and fan combination are you using?

My room temp is usually high 60s to high 70s F. My cooling is 5x 80mm fans. Yah I went back down to 2.5, but when I had it this weekend at 2.75Ghz and when I ran prime95 torture test, it lasted for 6 hour and then hit a blue screen which displayed memory dump. But today I'm going to try for 2.75 again with higher voltage, and then I'll try the settings tht I posted in here for an attemp at 2.8Ghz.

What do you guys think?

thnx,

Mako3

Looks as though I didn't phrase my question correctly.

What heatsink and fan combination are you using?

Stock heatsink and fan. Do you guys think that these settings are safe to try, meaning the voltage is right not to high not to low etc:

FSB Bus Frequency............................. 280 MHz

LDT/FSB Frequency Ratio.............. 3 (or is auto better?)

CPU/FSB Frequency Ratio....................... 10

PCI eXpress Frequency......................... 100

CPU Voltage .................................. 1.45v

LDT Voltage .................................. 1.35v

ChipSet (NF4) Voltage ........................ 1.60V

DRAM Voltage ................................. 2.60v

+0.03 if not 3.2V ............................ enable

Memclock (DRAM Frequency)...............200=RAM/FSB:1/01

1T/2T Timing (Command Per Clock)............. 1T (enable?)

CAS Latency (Tcl)............................. 3T

RAS# to CAS# delay (Trcd)..................... 4T

Min RAS# active time (Tras)................... 8T

Row precharge time (Trp)...................... 4T

Row Cycle time (Trc).......................... 9T

Row refresh cyc time (Trfc)................... 14T

Row to Row delay (Trrd)....................... 3T

Write recovery time (Twr)..................... 3T

Write to Read delay (Twtr).................... 2T

Read to Write delay (Trwt).................... 3T

Refresh Period (Tref)......................... 3684

DRAM Bank Interleave.......................... Enabled

DQS Skew Control.............................. Decrease

DQS Skew Value................................ 128

DRAM Drive Strength........................... called for 6 or 8, prolly 8

DRAM Data Drive Strength...................... Level 4

Max Async Latency............................. 7ns (or auto?)

DRAM Response Time............................ Normal or Fastest?

Read Preamble Time............................ 5ns

IdleCycle Limit............................... 256

Dynamic Counter............................... Disable

R/W Queue Bypass.............................. 16x

Bypass Max.................................... 7x

32 Byte Granularity........................... Disable (4 Bursts)

IMO, taking into account your ambient temperature and stock HSF, You need better cooling in order to reach 2.8Ghz stably.

The 2nd link you posted for the 3200+ Venice reaching 3.15Ghz was on a phase unit:

Gotta love phase and AMD

Phase unit? Well I tried those settings and somethings messed up, I cant get back to 2.75Ghz, after it posted it went into the black screen with safe mode, last known good config, or start windows normally choice. None worked, so I decided to go with 267, x3, x10. Which came up with the same screen except start windows normally worked.

size.jpg

I cant figure out whats wrong, maybe if I change my stock timings for my ram from 3-4-3-8 to like 3-3-3-8 or sumthing. Maybe it will increase the performance and let me get a higher HTT. I know for sure I can get 2.75, because I already have. The problem is why wont it now after I changed the other settings and increased the voltage?

Thnx,

Mako3

quick question...did ya download and read and study the A64 Overclocking Guide?
Yes Angry I have, lol.
I cant figure out whats wrong, maybe if I change my stock timings for my ram from 3-4-3-8 to like 3-3-3-8 or sumthing. Maybe it will increase the performance and let me get a higher HTT.

If you read the guides you didn't understand them. 3-3-3-8 will make it more difficult for you to reach your goal.

okay, well how can I get it back up? I just tried changing the CPU VID control to 1.45 and the CPU VID Special Control to: Above VID * 110%. Which nothing was showing on my monitor so I changed my video card in the other pcie slot which then it on startup it still didnt post but it started beeping at me, lol. So I cleared cmos and after load optimize defaults I tried getting back to atleast 2.67 like shown above, but it wouldnt it said NTLDR corrupt failed to boot. So now I'm back at 2.5Ghz, I cant figure out wtf is going on. Would I be able to OC better if I put my ram in yellow slots in stead of the orange?

thnx,

Mako3