Can't we use the heat energy from our components to do something?

Say I planned on converting the heat energy from my CPU into electricity which would power some lights on the outside of my case. As the CPU got hotter, the lights would get brighter. Realize this theory is coming after reading a centimeter thick manual on circuits and electricity.

Would that manage to cool the CPU as well, since the energy is being converted?

Say I planned on converting the heat energy from my CPU into electricity which would power some lights on the outside of my case. As the CPU got hotter, the lights would get brighter. Realize this theory is coming after reading a centimeter thick manual on circuits and electricity.

I'd be interested in seeing you come up with a plan to do this.

I don't think it will manage to cool the CPU. Because your cpu radiates the heat to the HS then to the air and the heat is converted to other energy source and there is no direct contact to the CPU itself during the conversion. It might cool down the case temperature becoz the conversion is done from air to other circuit but definately not the CPU. The reason for a cpu HS is to provide extra material that contact the CPU, so in order for the CPU to be fried, the HS has to get warmed up as well.

It is just matter of reuse energy of in the air.

Almost all (reasonable) methods of generating electricity involve turbine rotation:

Fossil Fuels: Burn fossil fuel, heat water into steam, let steam turn the turbine.

Nuclear: Split uranium to release energy, use the energy to heat water into steam, let steam turn the turbine.

Hydropower: Let falling water turn the turbine.

Wind power: Let the wind turn the turbines.

Geothermal: Let steam rising from the ground turn turbines.

The one exception I can think of is solar panels, and their efficiency is debateable.

If you don't have a turbine you're not going to get much out of the deal, if anything. The turbine also has to be pretty big, too: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steam_turbine

Also, air is a pretty ineffecient medium for "transporting" heat.

Actually you can generate electricity by creating a delta T across a peltier element...Would it be enough to power the lights in you case, probably not. But hey if you wanted to try, yes you can use the heat generated by your system in theory to generate electricity.

Jim

Yea, you could re-route the heat to the cup holder mounted on the front of ever computer made today and keep your coffee warm. :)

Genius!! Now if only there were an invention of some type of tube...that could transfer heat.....that would be a great idea :-P