PSU for OC x1900xtx and oc 165

I am currently using an Enermax Liberty 500W PSU for my system. Both my cpu and videocard are highly overclocked. When testing both at "load" my 12V drops from ~12.1-11.7ish in MBM. Although this is technically acceptable, at this high of an oc I feel that it may affect any long term stability when the pc is left on for long amounts of time. Atitool shows my card as drawing 40Amps at load, and although I know this number cannot be truely accurate its increase does correlate to drops in my 12v line. I was told that the 700W gamexstream would possibly be a good alternative for me because it offers a total of some 45A over the 12v lines total. I am however worried that the max Amps per line of 15A over 4 12v lines is still not enough to power my card. The enermax after all supplies a rated 18A per line.

Basically what I need is a power supply that will not budge when my cpu and gpu are at max load. I am sure a 850W pcp&c would cover my needs but before I spend that kind of dough I would like to know if there is a cheaper but acceptable solution.

Thank You in advance for any help you may provide me!

Brian

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would also be very interested in finding this out, as I have a similar system, and during OC testing with ATITool, I have noted that amperage got up to 35.5A, before the system just turned off the display (eg, graphics card stopped working, but system didn't hang/reset).

My combined total amperage on my 12V rails is 32A, with 36A Max (2x18A 12v rails).

This was when I had the core at 711mhz with mem at 825mhz.

The "slight freezing" issue i mentioned in another post in the AMD OCing section also pointed towards PSU being underpowered.

As for an upgrade, I'm looking at an Enermax 620W Liberty - as it seems to be good value for money, with 44A across the 12v rails. Doesn't look like I can sucessfully get any 700W+ PSUs, and OCZ PSUs are around $426NZD+ for the 600w Powerstream....whereas the Enermax is nearly half that...also the 600w Powerstream only has 38A Max across its rails...

I am currently using an Enermax Liberty 500W PSU for my system. Both my cpu and videocard are highly overclocked. When testing both at "load" my 12V drops from ~12.1-11.7ish in MBM. Although this is technically acceptable, at this high of an oc I feel that it may affect any long term stability when the pc is left on for long amounts of time. Atitool shows my card as drawing 40Amps at load, and although I know this number cannot be truely accurate its increase does correlate to drops in my 12v line. I was told that the 700W gamexstream would possibly be a good alternative for me because it offers a total of some 45A over the 12v lines total. I am however worried that the max Amps per line of 15A over 4 12v lines is still not enough to power my card. The enermax after all supplies a rated 18A per line.

Basically what I need is a power supply that will not budge when my cpu and gpu are at max load. I am sure a 850W pcp&c would cover my needs but before I spend that kind of dough I would like to know if there is a cheaper but acceptable solution.

Thank You in advance for any help you may provide me!

Brian

You are correct in that 40 amps is inaccurate as it is WAY low for an x1900XTX. That current is at the GPU Vcore voltage of 1.420 not the 12V input. Stock clocked and Vcored X1900XTX's can have 12V input power draws in excess of 100watts (8.3 amps) during 3D operation.

When modded, especially when runing a TEC cooler, and running high Vcore and core OC a single x1900XTX can cause current draws off 12V1 of an ATX 2.0/2.1 compliant PS to excess the 20A max current limit of the split and either cause the entire 12V section of the PS to go into current limit or trigger out right PS shut down.

Viper

Is there any psu you could recommend me for my single card setup? The larger enermax liberty 620W I don't believe would cut it as its single rail max is almost identical to the lower watt version. I am not using any pelts but if you see my signature I am running it pretty damn high. My vcore is at atitools max of 1.575 I believe. I'm not on it atm, its at my apt at school which I will be returning to at the end of the week. I have read the list of recommended PSU's but the majority of them look to be split rails, and I am very unsure that the ocz 520W would be enough for my system. However I currently am unable to afford a pcp&c powersupply

My worry is that their new 700W is basically identical to the ocz 700W gamexstream. In which case the 12V line is split into many smaller amp rails. Its looking like the only psu that will fit my needs is a pcp&c. I dont have 450-500 to spend on one though :(. I did see on xbitlabs that they did a review on a FSP VGA Power psu. It is a psu that apparently mounts in a 5.25" bay and soley powers your vga cards. It's not yet out on the market however. It looks like it would be perfect for my needs though!

FWIW

I will be receiving my new x1900xtx today from Newegg (the brown truck says its out for delivery). I also just upgraded to the Fortron 700W.

Should be installed in the next day or 2.

Will post back results (and they better be good)

EDIT: The Fortron and OCZ's have similar specs because as I understand it, OCZ GameExtreme's are rebadged Fortron Epsilon's

I can tell you that a Pentium D 930 dual core, 975X Asus board, 2 X1900XT Crossfires, 2 80GB SATA II RAID-0 hdd's, etc all work just fine with an OCZ 700w GX psu

this psu also powers up an X2 4400+ @ 250x10 2GB RAM, with all the same hardware above + 2 12v DDC water pumps.

without a hitch.

I can highly recommend the OCZ 700w psu...or the PCP&C 850w or higher if you can afford it.

I really appreciate your willingness to give your feedback in the coming days. But I am not sure exactly how well your results will help me. My card is clocked very high because I am on a very nice watercooling setup. I doubt that on stock cooling you will be able to reproduce my problem. My card is very near reaching 800mhz stable on the core. The max I can do atm is around 775 stable but I can clock it over 800mhz for a short time until the mosfets get too hot and stability goes down the drain. That is also why I have a custom cnc heatsink for them that I just got in and will be testing this weekend. I'm afraid that I will either need to buy a pcpc 850W (might as well get the 1KW, its only $50 more !?!?!) or I will need some sort of dedicated psu for my card like the fsp vga power that will be coming out shortly. The later seems like the more affordable method that will cover my needs.

Angry Games:

Are either of those x1900's oc though? That is my problem. The rails on the GX are not rated for more than 15A per rail. My enermax is rated for 18A per rail. Im sure that the GX can support x1900s at stock clocks, my enermax liberty can also. It is not as much an issue of can this psu provide me enough watts. More so an issue of very few psus out today can provide high wattage AND a high load of amps on any individual 12V rail. The 520W ocz from the guide looks like it would provide enough, but if I am going to buy a new psu it would make more sense to me to bu something that will last me in the future too ans im not sure how much longer it would be able to do that in cming hardware genereations.

I would jump on the pcpc 850 or 1kw in a second if I had the cash but I cannot currently afford it and am not sure when I would be able to.

Are either of those x1900's oc though? That is my problem. The rails on the GX are not rated for more than 15A per rail. My enermax is rated for 18A per rail. It is not as much an issue of can this psu provide me enough watts. More so an issue of very few psus out today can provide high wattage AND a high load of amps on any individual 12V rail. The 520W ocz from the guide looks like it would provide enough, but if I am going to buy a new psu it would make more sense to me to bu something that will last me in the future too ans im not sure how much longer it would be able to do that in cming hardware genereations.

I can tell you that a Pentium D 930 dual core, 975X Asus board, 2 X1900XT Crossfires, 2 80GB SATA II RAID-0 hdd's, etc all work just fine with an OCZ 700w GX psu

this psu also powers up an X2 4400+ @ 250x10 2GB RAM, with all the same hardware above + 2 12v DDC water pumps.

without a hitch.

I can highly recommend the OCZ 700w psu...or the PCP&C 850w or higher if you can afford it.

Is there any psu you could recommend me for my single card setup? The larger enermax liberty 620W I don't believe would cut it as its single rail max is almost identical to the lower watt version. I am not using any pelts but if you see my signature I am running it pretty damn high. My vcore is at atitools max of 1.575 I believe. I'm not on it atm, its at my apt at school which I will be returning to at the end of the week. I have read the list of recommended PSU's but the majority of them look to be split rails, and I am very unsure that the ocz 520W would be enough for my system. However I currently am unable to afford a pcp&c powersupply

The OCZ PowerStream 520 has a single 33A 12V rail and it will definately power your single x1900xtx. That is the PS I use to test modded cards including TEC cooled cards running in excess of 830 core. The TEC's are always powered from dedicated MeanWell PS's as they can draw over 20 amps all by themselves. The OCZ 520 is not enough PS for a CrossFire pair though.

The ENERMAX EG651P-VE FM(24P) ATX 550W is a single12V rail PS with a 36amp capacity. It is borderline on a CrossFire pair.

The Antec NeoPower NeoHE 550 is an ATX 2.2 with three 12V rail splits rated at 18amps per split and 42 amps total combined 12V load. The PCIe connector(s) are on 12V3 and it will handle a pair of modded x1900's in a CrossFire.

All three of the above can be had for around $100 is you look around.

The OCZ GameXStream OCZ700GXSSLI with four 12V rail splits rated at 18 amps each and roughly 46-48 amps combined in the real world (depends 3.3 and 5V loads are at the time). It will handle modded x1900 CrossFire pair easily. It cost a little more than the above but well below the ridiculess prices for the PC P&C 850 and 1kw units.

Viper