Re-Seat NF4 ChipSet Fan Saga and Arcti-clean

Hi All,

No particular problems here just wanted some information from the Gurus about reseating the chipset fan. Here is my saga:

I bought the Evercool VC-RE to replace my chipset fan and did so according to Angry_Games' tutorial (or part thereof) but sadly two bad things happened :

a) The Evercool VC-RE was higher than the stock cooling solution and hence my 7900GT had to go in the other PCI-E X16 slot and run at X8 ,I wasn't too pleased about this :mad: but I lived with it .

B) Apparently the VC-RE I got must have been slightly deformed (specualtion here) because it would not spin consistently and chipset temps rose to a whopping 64 degrees centigrade. :eek: was the order of the day.

Seeing this i decided to revert to the stock solution with what I have to say are some pretty nice results :cool: . The chipset temps after reapplying the stock chipset fan with AS5 went down a whopping seven degrees both idle and load. Awesome !

Question I have is this , I used Actic Silver's new TIM remover ArctiClean the second time around on the actual chipset and also the DFI chipset fan (This thing really can remove TIM ! made the chipset look like new !) .

Was this a Good idea ?

Comments / Opinions / Views most welcome

Best Regards,

Caspanis

It may have been a bad mount the first time you installed it or you could have bent a bit too much when you installed it to get the pins to mount.

as for the as tim remover, i dont see how it could cause any harm using it to your TIM.

As for moving your 7900gt to the other slot, vid cards still dont require the bandwidth alotted by the 16x slot, so moving from the 16x slot to the 8x slot really makes no difference.

articlean is great. ive used it many a times. as far as the temps and videocards not fitting, must have been a mounting issue, perhaps too much tim? NOONE else has had a fitment issue with that, or any card. if the fan didnt spin up properly *could* be defective, but unlikely. maybe the blades got bent during the install?

articlean is great. ive used it many a times. as far as the temps and videocards not fitting, must have been a mounting issue, perhaps too much tim? NOONE else has had a fitment issue with that, or any card. if the fan didnt spin up properly *could* be defective, but unlikely. maybe the blades got bent during the install?

I would be willing to try it again , but it is just too much hassle to take out the mobo again after doing it twice before.

Possibly in a few weeks , I'll try it again and see what happens , the fan on the evercool is definitely better , larger fins and less sound when it spins.

With the TIM issue , I don't think I used too much , I used AS5 and was really frugal with it as I didn't want it to squish out under the pressure onto the rest of the chipset chip. But I am pretty confident that my 7900GT wouldn't fit with the VC-RE. I wonder if anyone here has this same setup of video card,motherboard and cooler ? I'd love to be proven wrong :D .

Thanks for the opinions !

P.S. I was really worried about the arcticlean liquid spilling out over the chip (nForce4 ultra = really small chip) partricularly the first compound - The TIM remover possibly a little got away hope I'm OK.

For me, forget everything else ! When you want to get rid of old TIM or just clean surfaces for this application Arcticlean is the way to go !

Cheers,

Caspanis

The vc-re is slighty taller than the stock heatsink...you can still put your vidcard without problems over it...ive done it. maybe it touches it...or there's spaces for a hair and nothing else between the vid card and the hs...but it'll fit. Just reseat and try again.

Guest caffeinejunkie

When I installed my VC-RE it gave my some trouble on the inital go

I had it in, everything put together (video card back in) and I fired it up

Temps were worse than before and I looked in to see that the fan was lighting up dim but not spinning so i thought I had a frozen one

After further inspection I relized that one of the push in pins wasnt in all the way and somehow in the process of putting it together had come off and was being held there by my video card which was all stopping my fan

Alls good now

Temps went from 48c load with stock to 39 load with the VC-RE

On a side not I use Isopropyl alcohol when cleaning things with T.I.M on it

Ive yet to try Arctic Clean but I hear it works good

I Found the same thing .... Video Card touches the top and looks like it is sitting out of the slot... i was very careful to test it all before putting it back together in case it didn't detect my Video Card like it was...

As it turned off though, it works fine just like everyone elses. (And no affect on temps)

I would definitely try the VC-RE again when you feel up to it :)