pc wont boot

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

how would you know a faulty cpu.

Try installing your CPU in one of your friends computer or take it to a local computer shop for testing.

Other advice to try:

Try ExRoadie's method of clearing CMOS from a no boot.

http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showpost.p...04&postcount=24

Try placing your video card in the second slot.

Try placing your memory in the upper yellow slot.

Also do this for the your hard drive: try using 1, 2 etc...

About a year ago, I had that same problem. The computer would shut off by itself, very strange indeed, but I have managed to get it going without any computer replacements. Although, as you have indicated, you may have a bad CPU.

Good Luck

Guest Retratserif

I take it you have already done the obviouse trouble shotting so I will skip it.

Try only the 20 pin , not the extra 4, one 12v and the additional 12v for the video. Dont use the 2nd 12 volt or +4 that makes the 20pin power 24. Give it a try.

If that doesnt work then against all of the better judgement of all the admins here, try a cheap PSU. Gett it at best buy or somehting. Just make sure its enough power, but nothing specail.

Just enough to power the parts you have of plan on using. One video, sound, 2 HD's, DVD/CD, Floppy and fans=450-500watts though I am powering all of that and more with 400watt cheapo PSU.

I could not boot my Expert with 3 of the best PSU's on the market. So I pull the "crappy, by the standards of quality or price" one and use a few adapters, and it boots. Rock stable atm too. You really just have to find what works. I am only using a 20 pin, 4pin 12v and addtional 12v for PCI-E. I couldnt get it to boot any other way.

I am not sure, but the setup I have may show its fault when trying to OC. I figure that because of the extra plugs suppose to increase stability. I will get back on that once OC's have been about 50% through the process. I will know in a week or so of testing if thats going to be an issue.

i swaped the ram into the 2 sockets near to the cpu
these slots are only used for the 2nd module in dual channel mode

Single module = orange or yellow FURTHEST from cpu

Dual Channel = Orange pair or yellow pair.

Have you tried wevsspot's suggestions ???

wevsspot

did you follow my recommendations in post #9 ?

U stand as much chance danaging things by just blundering about trying memory modules where they don't go. :rolleyes:

Sometimes it takes repeated Cmos clears b4 it starts.

try

Try ExRoadie's method of clearing CMOS from a no boot
from Recency's post.

I've already made my recommendation. You can pull it down to the bare bones and start fresh (which would eliminate certain possible problems) such as a grounding problem, a cpu not properly seated, ram not properly seated, video card not properly seated, all connectors not plugged in, bad connectors, bad SATA cable and I could go on and on and on with this list.

Or you can continue to screw around for the next three weeks asking people if you should remove everything from the case and start bare bones. Any half way knowledgeable knuckle head in here will tell you to gut the case and start with a bare bones build until you locate the offending piece of hardware.