Evercool VC-RE NF4/CFX3200/RDX200 chipset replacement fan @ SVC.com!!!

Does this cooler by chance sit any lower than the stock chipset cooler on a UT Ultra-D? It would be nice to actually be able to use the x16 slot with my video card, rather than having to use the lower 8x slot. As it is, if I use the upper slot, my video card pushes down against the chrome ring on the stock chipset cooler and binds the fan (obviously bad).

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does this cooler by chance sit any lower than the stock chipset cooler on a UT Ultra-D? It would be nice to actually be able to use the x16 slot with my video card, rather than having to use the lower 8x slot. As it is, if I use the upper slot, my video card pushes down against the chrome ring on the stock chipset cooler and binds the fan (obviously bad).

if you had read through this thread, you'd know that hte Evercool works with every video card there is.

the Evercool is no larger than the stock cooler

if you cannot use the top slot or any slot with the Evercool, you have something wrong, and it is not the Evercool's fault, it is either your vid card cooler's fault, your vid card mfg's fault, or your installation that is at fault.

if you follow the instructions in the tutorial video, you won't have any problems unless you screw up the installation somewhere.

ISSA9000

not sure what problems you are having or had, but you always seem to have problems and then make a huge deal out of it when the rest of us are happy and already using the machine as it was intended.

(why is it that every one think it the end user fault - like they are STUPID) im a service tec. fix tv-hi-fi-comp-phones etc... i know what im doing, iv been doing it for 15+ years of modding clocking 8088 etc...c64)

ah wait, I should have known the instant I read this...you know more than anyone else so you are the expert. I should have realized this months ago.

(thier is NO WAY TO REMOVE THE ORIGIONAL HEAT SINK-WITHOUT GETTING TO THE BACK OF THE BOARD AND USE SOME PLYERS)

really?

you sure about that mr expert?

i must have removed 10+ stock sinks without removing the motherboard simply by cutting the tops of the plastic push-pins off while holding my finger in the center of the fan, then once both plastic push-pins have been chopped, you simply pull the chipset fan out and clean the chipset, put the Evercool or any other push-pin capable sink in.

Pretty easy there....so I'd probably tell you that YES THERE IS A WAY TO DO IT IF YOU USE YOUR BRAIN EH?.

HENSE what you said CANT-BE DONE!!!!!! hense your guess (cant be done) with out breaking the board.

ya, ok, so I just showed that it can be done. Next!

the rest of your nonsense...is gibberish mostly.

I tried the Parc de Courcerin....... it's some distribution company and they only carry the graphics card cooler. Tried the place in the UK, but they were out of stock by the time I read the message.... they told me they'd have more in January.

Right now I've set the fan in BIOS to full at 30 degrees C and the system now sounds like it's going to take off. ITE Smart Gauardian says the chipset is running at 44 degrees C and it ain't getting any cooler. Surely it can't be that hot can it?

More suggestions please..... especially if it finds me a new cooler.

the Evercool is no larger than the stock cooler

Actually you answered my question right there. The STOCK cooler blocks my x850xt in the top slot...

I guess what I should have asked is, is the Evercool any smaller than the stock cooler. The reason I asked was because it looked like answers were in relation to things working with the stock cooler, when in fact, they don't fit with the stock cooler. I have to use the bottom slot with the stock cooler, and was wondering if I could regain use of the top slot by switching to the EverCool.

Motherboard fan headers are awful.

I'd suggest getting a $7 sunbeam fan controller and hooking it to that, they really are useful.. four knobs, 0-12v.

44c chipset isn't bad. I've been to 57c with a passive cooler, I put a temp sensor under there to check.. never again. That's when I got the evercool.

You can burn your finger on a small passive cooler if you don't put a fan near it.

thesandman - the Evercool RE is actually a graphics cooler, so I'd go ahead and grab that one you found.

if the stock or Evercool cooler blocks something then you have either the vid card installed wrong, the chipset fan installed wrong, or something else you have done wrong (or the stock chipset fan was installed incorrectly at the factory)

In the 150+ boards that have been through my hand, not a single time did I ever have a video card that wouldn't fit in either slot because of the stock chipset cooler or the Evercool chipset cooler.

if the stock or Evercool cooler blocks something then you have either the vid card installed wrong, the chipset fan installed wrong, or something else you have done wrong (or the stock chipset fan was installed incorrectly at the factory)

In the 150+ boards that have been through my hand, not a single time did I ever have a video card that wouldn't fit in either slot because of the stock chipset cooler or the Evercool chipset cooler.

Then the chipset cooler must have been installed incorrectly at the factory. I tried to take some pictures of the interference, but my camera doesn't do so well in Macro mode. My x850xt pushes down on the chrome surround when installed on the top slot, hard enough to bind the fan.

The chipset temps aren't that bad, so I'll check the mounting next time I have the board out of my case (which might be a while).... I'm sure 8x isn't going to limit my video card much ;)

Here is a picture of the video card in the top slot. I'm not sure how well you'll be able to see the problem, but it shows how things are laid out on when I have the card in the top slot:

p1020058lw5.th.jpg

ya I've seen that happen when they've put too much goop (that hard gum stuff) on the chipset =/

the best way is to get it nice and hot by running it under full load for about 20 minutes then shutting everything off and removing the stock chipset, cleaning the heck out of the chipset chip (I use 100% acetone first then 90% rubbing alcohol). Then install the Evercool VC-RE (or clean the gum off the bottom of the stock chipset cooler and install it back on the chipset with AS5 or Ceramique etc).

In 100% of the cases like yours, just removing the chipset and replacing it with VC-RE or cleaned original stock chipset cooler resolves all the problems.

ISSA2000. Several users here have this chipset cooler installed and don't have problems with it. If both pins where pushed through all the way you would have to be pretty ham handed to get that sucker to break loose. This is why i had assumed to you had missed a step.

For the record if you REALLY wanted to you could indeed install it without taking out the board. You would clip the pins off at the top and push it through. The result would be peices of plastic stuck under the motherboard. But yes it CAN be done.

ICE RICH: The site is currently down but if and when it comes back up:http://www.shinyhardware.co.uk/products/product.asp/pid=5511

the pin is NOT BROKEN (just faulty) from day one...

on each side of the pic is a SMALL peace of plastic thats supost to spring out, well 1 of them did not spring out (iv only put it on the board once)

so plastic ping goes in hole (all the way down) and only 1 plastic spring worked (the other stayed press in), maybe i got a faulty pin?

it work for 6 months (but on 1 side only 1 spring out pin was working, so when a small nudge (when i put a 2nd video card in the 2nd slot) it was losened, then when i removed the 2nd video card - 1/2 hour later the chipset fan unmounted (1 side only)

get picture now ...now...

pin spring on left has fail (only put on board 1 time)

34307293053.jpg

other side (both springs are working)

34307293035.jpg

if you pull the pin out (left side pic 1 ) wth a small point of a stanly knife, it looks ok, but as you press it i (say with your fingers) only the right side spring back out. (not fully sesuring the pin- and its very hard to see as the slearence of the spring out plastic (depress) or not is very small, unlike other pins iv seen with spring out quiet a bit.

togeather iwth the fct this heatsnk has no squre sponce padding (incase the undersie of the heatsink touches the micro resistors (no electrical contact is made), as well as the padding cussions the resistors to help when installing..

(also did you notice that the origional heatsink top fan cover (the ovak ring) is lose, so if it gets nudged (while you are installing a video card) it does not lossen the heatsink lose.

and now i have a part working semi dead board?

can i rma? (prob not) how about the heat sink.. would you trust to use it again?

(it did work really well) cooling+ noise was good(very)

p.s the other design flaw with the mounting using the metal like a pring (instead of actual springs on the pins) is if 1 side comes lose the other side has too much down pressure and causes the heatsink to got 30degreas in the air causing the micro resistor to touch the heatsink (this is bad while the computer is on) (it caused a short )

untill it pop off i would have never given a thaugh to how thing mount on/off and if it fails..

AFTER YOU MOUNT THIS HEATSINK TURN THE BOARD OVER AND CHECK THAT THE SPRING BITS OF PLASTIC ACTUALLY HAVE POPED BACK OUT. IT CAN BE VERY HARD TO TELL AS THE CLERANCE OF THE IS VERY SMALL BETWEEN IN AND OUT.