Which Antivirus do u use?

dejv

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

AVG only...as long as you use safe browsing practices you won't get spyware. I've been spyware free for about 3 years...without using anti-spyware software and this is on a Windows box. I do use Spyware Blaster which just blocks stuff from installing in the first place...doesn't scan and remove.

Which Antivirus do u use?

On this machine Symantec Corperate.

This is the new one in my sig and basicly "naked" so far.

I find that no AV gets them all and on all the other machines use a combo of Symantec Corp/Panda/Kas/Norton.

AVG and other free AV systems are a joke.

I see alot of people useing NOD32 and have tryed it myself.

To be 100% honest I just don't trust it as it scans 900+GB of HD's on one of my machines in under 3 mins so I fully believe it to be nothing but crap.

But thats me ,what I use and what I think.

Your mileage may differ.

Z

i see A lot of people using AV software...i dont. Its been 7 years without antivirus...and NEVER had one. (I do scan my comp from time to time but i dont have the AV installed/running all the time.)

i see A lot of people using AV software...i dont. Its been 7 years without antivirus...and NEVER had one. (I do scan my comp from time to time but i dont have the AV installed/running all the time.)

My 15 year old has that same mindset and is not allowed to share files with the rest of the LAN. He seems to make a hobby of collecting trojans and virus.

In this respect he is a bonehead who does not listen to the old man.

He gets alot less than when he was 14 so I have hope for him.

Z

^^Greatest comment by a dad yet.

@zold - do you have 900GB of data on those drives. You have to think you may have 900GB of space but if your only filling 200GB of that then it wont take long.

As for people judging AVs by how long they take to scan, its ridiculous. Just because norton takes 3 hours to scan doesnt mean its worth half of what they charge. Anyways, I've come to the conclusion that AV software is simply for notification as I have yet to come across any program that actually removes the "infection."

my pc at workplace had several system crashes cause by "brontok" viruses/trojans.

E-trust only detected the "open error" and encrypted file..

avg does the cleaning and trend micro too...

i've used antivir and does the job too..

As for people judging AVs by how long they take to scan, its ridiculous. Just because norton takes 3 hours to scan doesnt mean its worth half of what they charge. Anyways, I've come to the conclusion that AV software is simply for notification as I have yet to come across any program that actually removes the "infection."

If you're not into manually removing malicious files, in safe-mode for example, or using programs like Hijack, search for an AV which allows you to scan in boot-mode. Windows is a very locked OS and doesn't allow much to be removed if it ones got installed and is running as a "service" (a very useful feature for viruses and trojans!).

That's what I didn't like in Norton; there was at least a couple of years ago no way to remove certain objects and however I tried to find a way of using it in boot-mode I couldn't. The free Avast! works in my opinion much better and you can schedule it to scan from boot-mode whenever you like

My 15 year old has that same mindset and is not allowed to share files with the rest of the LAN. He seems to make a hobby of collecting trojans and virus.

He gets alot less than when he was 14 so I have hope for him.

Z

I dont say noone should use AVs...i said I dont. I dont need to. Im good with AD-Aware...NoAdware and thats it.

I dont download files from STRANGE websites...and i dont do floppys....THATS WHERE THE VIRUSES RESIDE! ...FLOPPYS! :P