Best dual core cpu for overclock - 3 choices!

Cntrlfrk

Check out this table of results for the x2 range. 3800 - 4800

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=73800

I've tried three of these 06 x2 3800 over last couple of weeks, and they are doing between 2.55 and 2.65 at stock voltage, prime stable. As you see in the results, the LDBFE's are hitting 2.9 on air and water, with below 1.5v.

I know most of you will probably use these for games and recreation, but just to give you a working example. I've been doing multi-threaded render tests in a package called Lightwave. At stock speed my render was 78 seconds, at O/C 2.8 ghz it was reduced to 58 seconds.

In my opinion these chips are something else, and are certainly worth consideration :)

RLM

thought I should list this in OC section

best dual core CPU for overclock these are at top of my price range:

1. Athlon 64 X2 4200+ Manchester stock speed 2.2 ghz $355

2. AMD Opteron 170 Denmark stock speed 2.0 ghz $394 (I've read this is Opteron's "sweet spot" in terms of overclockability)

3. Athlon 64 X2 4400+ Toledo stock speed 2.2 ghz $460

Will overclock with thermalright aircooled solution (no water)

will use mostly for gaming, multitasking and video encode/decode

if given the option would rather spend less $$$ for more O.C.!! (keep in mind no water)

Opteron 170 are very nice but can be Sweet n sour, I have two one clocks 2800 at stock the other only 2400 at stock... Guess which one I am keeping and which I will sell.

Just follow the OC guide and watch your temps as you increase the vcore and you will be fine, besides, you have all these same great guys who posted that are willing to share their experiences and knowledge with the Opty, I'd have voted for the Opty by the way, cheaper than my X2 and clocked better. :nod: