Best dual core cpu for overclock - 3 choices!

Cntrlfrk

thought I should list this in OC section

best dual core CPU for overclock these are at top of my price range:

1. Athlon 64 X2 4200+ Manchester stock speed 2.2 ghz $355

2. AMD Opteron 170 Denmark stock speed 2.0 ghz $394 (I've read this is Opteron's "sweet spot" in terms of overclockability)

3. Athlon 64 X2 4400+ Toledo stock speed 2.2 ghz $460

Will overclock with thermalright aircooled solution (no water)

will use mostly for gaming, multitasking and video encode/decode

if given the option would rather spend less $$$ for more O.C.!! (keep in mind no water)

The opteron is the best for the money. The cache makes it worth getting over the 4200+ and the price makes it worth it more than the 4400+.

Amen!!! :D

love my opty, granted your overclock will not be the same as some of us but you should be good easy to 2.6 with an 170 opty, no experience with the x2 line.

Definitely the opteron. The 10x multiplier is nice for the 170 when it comes to RAM timing flexibility. 165s should do 2.6-2.7 range (mine will do 2.75 but I don't want to run 1.6v). Currently shipping 170s have a better chance of hitting 2.8. (Though there are *never* any guarantees)

id get the opty 165 anytime, since it's the cheapest taledo, but yes 10x multi does make it easier for ocing on the 170, but i spent a bit of effort and got my 165 to 2.7, and its at 340*8 or something, or whatever it is in my sig, it says 3700 but i got another comp running at exactly the same stuff and settings with the opty

but i dunno if 170 actually clocks higher, given same steppings

i have an opty 165, ALMOST @ 2600mhz at stock V... its at 2554 (dual prime stable 24 hrs). ddr 500 ram and divder on 9/10 means i'm running my ram only 5mhz over stock speed.

While its nice to OC ur ram and run it 1:1... i don't think is critical