GRAPHICS CARD OVERCLOCKING (Nvidia cards)

d3M0n

is it possible for people who volt-mod a 7900GT tell us which guide that they use??? its frustrating to see all these different kind of volt-mods... like Splave, can u tell me which guide did u use?

or even better if somebody can post the worklog of their moddings......

thank u :)

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't even get my XFX 7900GT to run at default speeds without screen flickering/corruption. I'm sort of confused and at the same time i'm thinking the voltage protection is the cause of my issues as well as heat which supposedly starts the process.

if u havent done/undo any volt-mod and its running at default speed, and its flickering... dude, rma'd it.... voltage protection kicks in at 1.5v, wont let u pass that. and it will simply throttle it back down, it shouldnt be the cause of flicker/corruption.

Damnit, i was afraid you were going to say that Boss! I guess the good old RMA is going to go through process here soon. Damn, and i've only had the video card for a week or two, XFX damn you! :)

• 4 weeks later...

pretty cool! i will definitely try some of those ideas once i get my new parts...

i tried the link for the nBitor thingy, but it failed...

thanks though for a great comprehensive tutorial, they're a godsend to people like me who are still learning! ;)

• 2 months later...

The 7900GT volt mod went fairly well for me. I'm @ 690MHz (core) and 825MHz (memory). I'm giving the vCORE 1.55v and i haven't messed with the memory voltage since when i took it up from 2.0v it wouldn't make a difference but only crash or display would lose signal, odd i know. My card is an overclock version from XFX (520/775) stock frequencies. So i'm happy with the overclock, but many others are getting higher frequencies.

I think with at least 1.55vCORE i should be slightly over 700MHz+ and with the pencil resister mod i should be around 900MHz but not sure what's going on. I guess it is true that every video card is different or i'm just unlucky. The memory is a 1.4ns Samsung which is typical. I have a VF700Cu Zalman cooler on it with copper ramsinks on the eight memory modules. I've also put ramsinks (Zalman) on the hot areas on the front side of the card and the two on the back side.

I've been playing Prey @1280x1024 2xAA and 8XAF which runs well. Call of Juarez doesn't look bad either with those game settings. I'm also playing Condemned Criminal Origin which runs great as well.

I think the card idles at 40c and load is around 65c depends on the temperature in the room and how i have the case setup.

Any suggestions or comment would be greatly appreciated, thank you.

Hey Mack, I think you might just have one of the mediocre cards. I say this because I have been able to play with 3 XFX7900gt's, all UDE7's. The first one that I got, I modded it to 1.55/2.2 and it got up to 730/1860. I was able to run six loops of 3dmark '01, '03, '05 and '06 with it and no problems. This was on water by the way. Then I got the second one, much newer, and I could not do crap with it, I mean nothing at all, till I found out that it was a dud and sent it back to XFX for them to test and sure enough it was a DOA card. They gave me a replacement, the ones with the brackets on it, and it could do the same like the first one, but with only a 1.50 mod and no memory mod. I did not try to push it more because I was going to used it for SLI anyway and even if it got better speed, the other one will not be able to keep up with it. I might fiddle with it when I'm bored playing Titan Quest, Oblivion or FEAR. Now I'm running 1.50/2.2 on both cards with a 700/1800 on SLI, both on the vf900.

Yeah, the first XFX card i got was DOA as well. I've sent that one back months ago. Now i got the one with the brackets. I'm using RivaTuner (Latest Version) and the Diode inside the core is at 60c but the GPU usually is at 55c (At least right now when it's hot). I have a feeling the core can hit higher but maybe wc would help, unless i can wait until the winter, HAHA! I'll see how she does tonight @ 690/1650. I think CoolBits and RivaTuner are alittle buggy because it would take several tries to get it to 690MHz without that driver fail box comes up. Also i get these dotted red artifacts when i'm on 2d mode (like right now). Here is a pic....

Look at the window where i'm typing, you'll see these tiny little red dots, OH OH!

untitleddx6.th.jpg

Yeah, I can see the dots you mention. But how is it on gaming performance, is it giving you any problems? The other plus with my newer card is that it also runs cooler. See, I've got an AC unit in my room, thats why I went with air all out including cpu. When I'm done playing for at least four hrs I'd check the temps immediately on the cards, and the old one would read 58, then I'd check the newer one and it reads 52. Not only does it run better, it also runs cooler, both have the same vf900 on them. I'm using coolbits to OC them. Those dots normally indicate that you may be close to the OC'ing limit of the card.