GRAPHICS CARD OVERCLOCKING (Nvidia cards)

d3M0n

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That actually sounds fine, if it's anything like a 6800GT, perfect ;)

My old 6800GT AGP that's in another system now (of course) runs around 52-55 idle, 60-70C load.

If all else fails, look it up on a benchmark site like guru3d or whatever it is, usually they have "how hot does she get" in their reviews. If yer not seein' that temp, yer all gravy. Mine have excellent air flow and they (as far as I know) never pass 50C, but that's cuz between the two side fans blowing on them, and the AC unit I have blowing in to that... yeah, they idle at crazy temps LOL like 25-35C

The 6800GT is hotter I think... well, not sure... what I am sure of is how it use more power than any newer cards.

IMO, anything lower than 75 is ok... anything lower than 50 is good... and temperatures within 10 deg from room temperature are near perfect (watercooling).

Yeah, 6800GT, 6600GT and 6800XT I know run hot for a fact. Owned the first two and worked on the third for a friend.

The 7800GTX 256MB I have also gets pretty hot when playing higher end games (FEAR and such) at extremely high settings. It gets up as high as 70, but has never gone higher to my knowledge, and that was with poor air circulation in my old old case.

My ol' 7800GTX 512MBs that I had also ran perdy hot, but I ran both of them overclocked on top of them being factory OCed from 550/1700 to 580/1750. I think they got in the 60s when high-end gaming.

Now my new gals, the two 7900s... no idea how hot they get honestly, but I'd wager they rarely touch 50C except MAYBE when I'm running Oblivion, they might get a LITTLE warmer when I'm looking straight at a gate in the distance. LOL

So yeah, I would wager on your cards temps bein' perfectly acceptable. If you're worried though, I'd recommend placing a 120mm fan on the side of the case blowing at it, that'll fix any circulation problems you have, if you don't already have a side fan. I know it lowered my card temps a good 5C just under idle, let alone load.