Final OC X2 3800 @ 2.6

DeFJaE

The next step up would be 1.475 - so that would be 40mhz fpr 0.309v.

You're assuming that the relationship is linear? At the upper limits I think the curve asymptotes to a core maximum even with large increases in v.

Also, I think it would be more useful to see core speed vs. voltage since we are varying voltage to get to a certain clock. But your idea about the database is interesting and the point is well taken. I think a database like that would be helpful. If someone were inclined, a plot in excel would be nice to see.

Sorry if I seem nitpicky. I like your ideas and am trying to build on them.

@RLM

Your approach has merit. I haven't yet benched to see if I am getting appreciable difference in performance for the cost of v, temp, chip life, etc. My inclination is to just run max MHz at stock. I'll too bench today to see if I notice anything. Judging from your use of cinebench, I surmise that your work entails a lot of video rendering/encoding? And you're 2750 is by no means a trivial OC ;)

Oh, I (and others) posted a link to a thread at Anandtech. A knowledgable fellow stated that the order was indeed V>freq>temp. I thought heat was the bigger worry than freq since everyone on these forums is so obsessed with temps and cooling.

Bottom of the page:

http://forums.anandtech.com/messageview.as...MVIEWTMP=Linear

@Jimi

Hello! I see you are running phase. Which setup may I ask do you have? I wish I were that extreme but it would be interesting to see how far these little chips could go with some extreme cooling. So you say you can get 3GHz? Awesome!

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@Jimi

Hello! I see you are running phase. Which setup may I ask do you have? I wish I were that extreme but it would be interesting to see how far these little chips could go with some extreme cooling. So you say you can get 3GHz? Awesome!

Vapo LS.

Have a look, two 0607s, a T and an N:

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showpo...2&postcount=147

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showpo...8&postcount=122

I guessed the curve was is logarithmic. Those values show that, and aren't guuesses, but are the voltages I need to get 2.7 stable, and the volts I need to run 2.66.

So I'm getting there.

Yeah, I start hitting the wall between 3100 and 3200. I always think of phase as stock air +300 MHz for a given voltage, so I'd expect 2700 to 2800 around the 1.5v mark on stock HSF with mine, which isn't far from the truth. Beyond that, voltage has to rise exponentially and it just ain't worth stressing them that much (for long, anyway).

Some people with 0601s reckon on 3g with air... very few though.

Some people with 0601s reckon on 3g with air... very few though.

i am. or can be. just need to crank my fan up more. maybe i'll pop the heatspreader off. then i think for sure i'd be.

Stock vcore @ 260 x10 :

database6tg.jpg

Nothing against increasing vcore. I just want to avoid it at this point since my upgrade curve is less steep than the hardcore enthusiasts here. Since increased voltage is the greatest CPU killer and I can't afford to keep up with the Joneses, I need to preserve as much as possible. Degradation due to increased frequency however is acceptable to me.

What programme is that your using to whow all your temps and CPU details?

CPU-Z?

Really got to pack this in. Aswell as a new case, have just picked up an LDBFE 0609XPMW 'n'. The buggers have a bar outside the computer plaza here in BKK.

This is getting daft.

RLM