Yellow Slots Vs. Orange Slots

Orange slots on my board work much better for these UCCC sticks that i'm running. I don't know about others....like it would be stable with the configured timings @264MHz 1:1 in the orange slot but can't do the same in Yellow whore!

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

it'd be interesting to see a comparison table between those running pc3200 and those running pc4000 and who was using what slots. i think more people putting volts thru there sticks with the 3200s use the orange and people finding success with the yellow seem to need less volts for stability and use 4000. could be way off tho

Actually, it's a good thing I have to point my sink "up" since the CPU-fan is sucking air through the copperfins instead of blowing down on them. That way it will suck air past the RAM that get somewhat cooled. ;)

• 2 weeks later...
I have a slightly different view since my RAM will only work in the yellow slots... ;)

I have seen that too. BH-5 chips like those in the Kingston and Corsair memories seem to like running in the yellow slots better.

However, having said that, and since neither Kingston nor Corsair is in the "recommended memory" list, I would stick with using the orange slots first and using the yellow slots only as a last resort.

And I'm not trying to start a PC or flame war with this post. If your system works with memory in the yellow slots, then, by all means, leave it there. Mine works best with the memory in the orange slots.

And last, since the AMD64 memory controller was designed to work the fastest with one stick in one DIMM slot for each channel, why do all the vendors put four DIMM slots on these motherboards? Marketing???

Hope this helps ...