Yellow Slots Vs. Orange Slots

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

...100%...that's obvious... :shake:

Obviously obvious.... but I'm upgrading to 2 gig down the road and would like to know the differance if there is and take advantage of it if there even IS an advantage, but at the moment everything seems kosher.

...that's a different situation...2 X 1GB?..4 X 512?..

2 x 1GB... I have 4 sticks of 512, same sticks and everything... never put all of them in at the same time though... don't think it would work or be logical in a sense. But yea... 2 x 1GB in the future... when the wallet recoops from buying everything else :rolleyes:

Each coloured set is Dual Channel. Orange is Channel 1 and Yellow is Channel 2. DFI state in their manuals the first two sticks go in the orange slots for Dual Channel performance.

This statement is almost, but not quite, correct.

One of the orange slots is assigned to memory channel 1; the other orange slot is assigned to memory channel 2. The same is true of the yellow slots; one is on channel 1 and the other on channel 2.

The color coding is there to insure you get Dual Channel memory access whenever you use two DIMMs.

You would have to ask Oskar Wu why the orange slots work better than the yellow ones but I would suspect it has something to do with fast memory access, low latency, and screaming overclocks.

These boards are designed to run best with two DIMMs in the orange DIMM slots; the yellow DIMM slots are there just for eye-candy, in my opinion.

Hope this helps ... :)

Ive heard that some ram runs better in the orange slots and some better in the yellow. I've tried 3 types of ram on this board and never had a reason to even try the yellow slots-which i never have tbh:)

I've read somewhere that with older bioses it used to be that orange slots where tccd-liking and yellow for bh5, but that after a certain bios version this was changed so that it did not matter any longer what slots where used. I'm not sure if this goes for the later boards like expert and venus, I presume these use the newer bioscode so that both orange and yellow can be used. It seems to be bios related.

I think it's just a matter of testing what works best for your mem/board/biosversion.

I have tested my board, bios and mem from sig with both orange and yellow slots and there was no noticable difference in either max mhz or sanmem/everest r,w&l tests. But this could be caused by the bh5's being quite tolerant.

One of the orange slots is assigned to memory channel 1; the other orange slot is assigned to memory channel 2. The same is true of the yellow slots; one is on channel 1 and the other on channel 2.

The color coding is there to insure you get Dual Channel memory access whenever you use two DIMMs.

You would have to ask Oskar Wu why the orange slots work better than the yellow ones but I would suspect it has something to do with fast memory access, low latency, and screaming overclocks.

These boards are designed to run best with two DIMMs in the orange DIMM slots; the yellow DIMM slots are there just for eye-candy, in my opinion.

It would certainly be nice if they switched the "good" slots since the orange is closest to the cpu and hence often in conflict with some of the larger HS that people use (especially true with my Ninja).

I have a slightly different view since my RAM will only work in the yellow slots... ;)

I'm running 2x1gb OCZ in the orange slots no drama but when I had them in yellow no go. I've also got 4x 512mb sticks of Corsair twinx pc4000 pro and when I installed that likewise no go.

Board it seems is pretty finicky when it comes to what Ram you use and in what slots.

Might be something to do with 1T/2T/ and 1Gb/512 mb in what slot.

It's strange though. I've got non-OC RAM's (TwinMOS matched pair) and yellow slots = no boot when I built the machine... I had no idea what was going on. Worried about motherboard/cpu/ram etc. was damaged or dead. Managed to get my old P2 300 server up and running so I could browse to dfi-street and read that I should move my RAM's to the orange slots which worked.

While Lanparty-boards are aimed at the enthusiast market I'd expect the boards to run out-of-the-box instead of having weird problems like this. Reminds me of the problems I had with both DFI Lanparty NF2 & NF3 250Gb board that I had before my NF4 Ultra-D.

I'm using the Yellow slots. The Orange slots didn't work so well on mine and caused me hours of grief thru instability on my first install of the board. Yellow gets me 260MHz out of my 2GB PC4000 RAM with pretty quick timings.

I think A64's are very sensitive to RAM quality, and the quality of the signal path to the CPU. Moreso than any other memory setup. I had a A64 notebook that wouldn't work with just any RAM, and only worked well with a 1GB alone. Mixing sizes it hated a lot.

It's something though how the Yellow slots are totally Gun Ho! compared to my orange slots. I wonder if it varies across CPUs, or if it's a board/RAM chip thing.