The Best Antivirus/Firewall solution?

inquisitor

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Firewall:

Do you have some old junk laying around, then build yourself a M0n0wall router. Buy yourself a cheap IDE compact flash adapter which will make an old (8mb is enough) CF recognized as an IDE-drive. Raw write M0nowall to it and after some easy installation you'll get a nice cheap router/firewall.

I think a standalone hardware router/firewall is a definite must. You can get ones that are setup quite reasonably that will provide better protection than a software ever will.

AV:

Nod32 - fast, unobtrusive, excellent detection and configuration, CHEAP

avast - Free, better config and setup than AVG IMO

If you want a software firewall, I use the NVIDIA one. I think it's excellent and is very configurable. For the other Windoze PC in my house I still haven't decided. Generally those if you have a standalone firewall you are only using these things for application detection, so it's not that imperative

Thanks for all the replies, thought i'd let you all know that I have gone for Sygate Personal firewall to work along side my Kaspersky AV :)

It's free and based on some own testing it still works a lot better than many expensive ones and doesn't take to much recourses.

• 2 months later...

i use Avast Antivirus, and Kerio Personnal firewall, SPybot search and destroy, on my nf4 rig, nf2 rig and KT400A rig (my rig, g/f rig, server rig)

been using this for the last year never got infect and only get a few spyware, using Firefox on the 3 rig, cuz IE sux

Right now I use Bitdefender 9 Professional Plus. I've been using it for about a month and so far its very good. It updates frequently and has a lot of features. The only problem is that when it updates automatically, it (sorta rarely) steals my windows focus. I really wish they fixed this or I knew some way around this, but its not really a big deal.

AVOID NORTON LIKE THE PLAGUE. I had systemworks a while ago and it was slow, annoying and caused some huge problems when I tried to uninstall it. It took me about 2 days of trying stuff to actually finally get it off and in the mean time it stopped my system from booting a few times. Thanks Norton ;)

• 1 month later...

I know this thread is old but, some ofthe AV software and ZAP are having conflicts with the new build from Zome labs.. Anyone experience this?

I can't decide weather to go with NOD 32 or Kaspersky....

I still like Zone Alarm.....

McAfee is free with my ISP but.. I dont like Mcafee..

Guest Neezer

I just got spybot, and I am setting it up. I am wondering about creating a backup to my registry. Is this something that I need to do? what will happen if I don't? How much space does it use?

Edit: How can I get it to scan different drives. I didn't install it on my OS partition. I want it to scan the OS partition, and my other ones. How can I do that?

• 2 weeks later...