Anyone using a 20 pin PSU?

Kiajoon

I running this setup at 10x270 at 1.4V with a 24 pin Silverstone 600W PSU. But I will like to setup another machine without buying a new PSU but using my old trusty Enermax 20 pin PSU.

I am wondering if anyone is using a 20 pin PSU without a convertor on these NF4 boards, overclocks and it works fine? WIll the 4 omitted pins not overload the other pins and burn components out? If so where should i align the 20 pin adaptor?

Thanks!

I used a Antec 380W with 24A on 12v rail for a while on mine. Had a 3200+ Winnie overclocked to 2500Mhz, 3 hard drives, ATI X800XL, and 1GB ram. Ran for many months. I upgraded to a 520W dual rail PS.

It ran fine. It's still not recommended. :)

Can someone explain why it’s not recommended to use a 20-24 adapter? I myself used one for about week till my new 24 pin PSU came in. Everything ran fine for that week, and rails looked good even when O/C at full load still good and solid. From the day I put it together it ran 24/7 till I had to turn it off to put the new PSU in without a single hiccup. So what’s the deal with all the “But it’s not recommended”? And yes I did get a new PSU because of all the warnings, but really it was just an excuse to upgrade my PSU.

• 4 weeks later...

Cuz it puts more load on the 20-pin connector's wires and, more importantly the connectors themselves. Those connectors introduce high resistance to the circuit path and they can overheat if they are moving lots of current and corrode too much over time or have a poor mating inside the connectors. A ATX 2.0 power supply could also put the extra 4 pins on another rail to offer better load carrying ability. If you use a 24-pin adapter the extra 4 pins are split from the 12v lines available instead of being new lines directly from the PSU.

I'm running 20-pin -> 24-pin and it seems just fine. But my PSU is also pretty hefty. I can see problems with lesser PSUs, especially cheap PSUs. DFI's boards have those 2 extra power connections though which undoubtedly help transfer some load from the standard ATX connections.

Obviously it's best to go with a real ATX 2.0 PSU though.

I do not recommend it either.

However, I happen to have a very stong 20-pin, a Zalman 400B. Apart from the fact that it weights a ton it also has a very strong 12V rail for a PSU of its generation. It works fine with all my 24-pin boards, including a dual Opteron board, using a 20->24 pin adapter.

However, using this PSU with the adapter my better CPUs cannot hold the highest overclock they reach on other PSUs.

In general, the problem with 20 pin PSUs is not that they are 20 pins. The probem is that they are underpowered where it counts, at the 12V. PSUs of that generation were not only weaker overall, they also have thw rong tradeoff between the rails.

Well, Check the specs in my sig...

I'm using that without an adapter...a 20 pin PSU just leaving the 4 pins in the motherboard empty....of course I plug in all the 4 conectors including the floppy one next to the pciex slot and I never had any stability issues....my PSU has 34A on the 12V...my dual core proc is overclocked 25% and my video card is also overclocked....my setup is prime stable 12 hours...(didn't have the patience to wait longer) and never had any issues...so I think this 20 pin psu won't work in the Dfinf4 is bullcrap....

If you have a good quality PSU to back it up and don't wanna spend $200 on a 600w because everybody here says so...

Well, Check the specs in my sig...

I'm using that without an adapter...a 20 pin PSU just leaving the 4 pins in the motherboard empty....of course I plug in all the 4 conectors including the floppy one next to the pciex slot and I never had any stability issues....my PSU has 34A on the 12V...my dual core proc is overclocked 25% and my video card is also overclocked....my setup is prime stable 12 hours...(didn't have the patience to wait longer) and never had any issues...so I think this 20 pin psu won't work in the Dfinf4 is bullcrap....

If you have a good quality PSU to back it up and don't wanna spend $200 on a 600w because everybody here says so...

Yeah but you should still use a 20->24 pin adapater and not just leave the 4 pins open.

Because with the 4 pins missing your high-quality PSU will lead a lot of amps through the remaining lines and that's not healthy. An adapter will fix that and make flow on the motherboard use the intended load balancing.