DIY Street Linux Thread.

Guest culinist_merged

This is my first time installing linux on dfi motherboard and i get some problem .. after i did some researches i found that many people have problem with marvell yukon driver .. and some of them can solve this problem with a patch on their bios but i just found patches for asus and shuttle mobo only .. well i still doubt whether is this an incompatibility linux with dfi or not .. last time i installed suse linux on my last rig ( not dfi ) but there was no problem .. now i install fedora core 4 on my dfi i and get da problem .. so is there any patch for dfi bios like others mobo or???? i did try to switch my LAN to nvidia's but it's still da same .. thankz for your help

• Replies 518
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does anyone here know (and I apologize if its been asked previously) if Ubuntu will work on an NVRAID 0 Array?.. I really do know Jack Feces about Linux and every time I have tried to install (Dual Boot) several distros' it either

a) does not detect my array

B) Detects and then proceeds to destroy the whole array upon format of the partition I have set asaide for Linux.

c) Get it running, but niether my sound or video works 100% and no matter what guides I read nothing will get them working...

I need a nice, easy to use for a complete newb to Linux so I can play around and get used to it, that will work on my hardware. I just want it to play nice with my XP install so I can still play games and use software that I cant get for nix.. if you get my drift.

I have been toying with the idea to just use VMWare or something similar, but I want to use the hardware in my system with Linux, not just some emulated basic hardware if you get my drift.

Thanks in advance.

I grew up with Unix Machines. Not really but I first was exposed to Unix and the Internet back in 1991. I was an early adopter of Linux in the mid 90's and I gotta say you guys don't know how good you got it with today's distributions.

We didn't have fancy install GUI's and modular, autoloading kernels and lots of hardware support. We had to configure and compile our own kernels. Hacking the Kernel was common place. If we wanted our hardware to work, we had to write our own drivers. There was no such thing as an install gui and we configured everything and I mean everything manually.

You noobs have it easy now ;)

Does anyone here know (and I apologize if its been asked previously) if Ubuntu will work on an NVRAID 0 Array?.. I really do know Jack Feces about Linux and every time I have tried to install (Dual Boot) several distros' it either

B) Detects and then proceeds to destroy the whole array upon format of the partition I have set asaide for Linux.

c) Get it running, but niether my sound or video works 100% and no matter what guides I read nothing will get them working...

I need a nice, easy to use for a complete newb to Linux so I can play around and get used to it, that will work on my hardware. I just want it to play nice with my XP install so I can still play games and use software that I cant get for nix.. if you get my drift.

I have been toying with the idea to just use VMWare or something similar, but I want to use the hardware in my system with Linux, not just some emulated basic hardware if you get my drift.

Thanks in advance.

Just run VMWare. It is the best :D I've been using it for years. You will be very happy with the results. Trust me.

Fedora Core 4. core 2.6.11 - x86-64

Very fast and stable.

Yes, but does it work with a NVRAID 0 array???

Last time I tried Fedora on it it killed my entire array on install which is not good...

I just need an easy Linux thats stable, fast and works with NVRAID..

Just installed Ubuntu 5.10 -k7 kernel onto an external USB drive. It running really nicely. I want to upgrade to the latest nvidia drivers for my 7800GT, but I am leery of borking the setup at this point.

Ubuntu is a nice step up from Suse 9.1, which I liked but found a little cumbersome to install some programs that I wanted to test out.

Yeah I like Unbuntu because it is very light weight and I think half the fun of Linux is portinging , modifying, compiling, installing, and configuring software and drivers. Also, Unbuntu is 1 CD as opposed to the 4 CD Fedora Core 4. Fedora just crams everything under the sun into the install disks and it is a pain in the butt sifting through 10000 packages trying to decide which ones you want to install and which ones you don't.

U will have to use the dmraid program if u want to use your soft raid array under linux. I dont know if the softraid will allow a linux install (not as of now but later maybe) but I was able to mount all my raid 0 array partitions under linux. Dmaraid will alos work with intel chipsets

Thanks in advance.

• 2 weeks later...

I installed Ubintu on one of my spair computers pretty silly fast even though it has intigrated grapics a Tbird at 1200 and only 250 or ram I would be crawling with widows with this set up.

I cant figure out to install folding at home yet - had problems before on tis system replaced the hard drive cable :rolleyes: and used a card for lan and it went very smooth this time. (not DFI)