DIY Street Linux Thread.

Guest culinist_merged

• Replies 518
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i've ran freebsd, but it's just not my cup of tea. i just couldn't get used to the brandelfing and all the stuff like that that comes with it. not to say i tried very hard, and i'm sure someone who's a freebsd fanatic here will probably laugh at me for it, lol. i really just prefer slackware because it is bare bones like freebsd is, only it's linux and not bsd. i would very much so like to get back into the swing of things though if i get the chance. i definitely am interested in BSD especially for its scheduler and pf (i think that's the name of their firewall... lol).

Never heard of BeOS

aaah, you're just joshin' us, joe ...

for those interested

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beos for general info though the introduction largely misstates the circumstances extant at the start of be and the relationship of be to AAPL ...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jean-Louis_Gassée for a hint (still incomplete) of the circumstances

aaah, you're just joshin' us, joe ...

for those interested

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beos for general info though the introduction largely misstates the circumstances extant at the start of be and the relationship of be to AAPL ...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jean-Louis_Gassée for a hint (still incomplete) of the circumstances

Well true.

Windows is just so ineficent compaired to just about everything else but most of the new programs are optimised and shoehorned into working with windows. I am comming to the point though that I will need to upgrade my back up computer or give up on windows. Both seem like they could be fun.

Guest culinist

I haven't tried BeOS or BSD yet. I'm pretty sure that BeOS is now defunct, no longer supported. I know a guy who swears by BSD for all his servers. According to him, and from what I have read, one major plus for BSD is that it is standard acrossed the board. Unlike linux where you have over 300 distros, and almost as many configuration file formats, BSD is BSD no matter what you run. FReeBSD, OPENBSD, NetBSD. They are all the same. Plus BSD uses ports, kinda like Gentoo I guess. An excellent package system.

I have the lastest release of FreeBSD and was thinking about givibng it a go for a server I'm trying to set up. Don't know if I will any time soon since it would be a whole new can of worms to open, and I'm not done with the can I 'm using now.:)

Guest culinist

Thanks for the link. I have never installed knoppix, only used for recovery disc.

DOS 3.3 and DOS 6.22

WordStar, SuperCalc3v2.00, Reflexv1.1:cool:

Now those progs bring back some memories! I was using them in the Marines before they switched over to this all-in-one piece of junk software that didn't do half the functions as WordStar, SuperCalc and dBaseIII did. Thank GOD I only had to put up with it for 2 months before I left the rock (Okinawa).

As far as OS's go, Windows XP Professional, SuSe, BEOS, and RedHat are what I use. Windows XP Home doesn't have a place in my home due to it's lack of remote desktop function. I have tried FreeBSD and will probably setup a cheesy computer to run it on instead of my main system.

DOS 3.3 and DOS 6.22

WordStar, SuperCalc3v2.00, Reflexv1.1:cool:

omg, you really need to be worried, you are heading towards the nomination for the number one geek award, lol. ;)

... before they switched over to this all-in-one piece of junk software that didn't do half the functions...
Would that have been ENABLE in the 17lb box? I think DOD got a world-wide site license for $3.28.kqkp