DIY Street Linux Thread.

Guest culinist_merged

• Replies 518
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest area51

I have had a lot of success with fedora core 1 and 3. Right now I have Fedora Core 3 running an overclocked 24/7 server without a hitch :nod: (I'm sick that way :rolleyes: )

I have tried most others: Suse, Ubuntu, Debian, Gentoo (too much time compiling), etc. I have found Fedora Core to be stable, easy to set up, and virtually bullet proof. The other big plus is that they have a very strong user base so information is very easy to come by.

I am pretty sure they just released Fedora Core 4 a couple days ago, though I have not had a chance to try it yet.

One of my favorite features is that you have a huge amount of control over what gets installed...Its all there on the install disks, but if you dont want it, dont install it! My last Fedora build was my server and it was a minimal install with no GUI, only the bare essentials I needed: apache, ssh, vsftpd, etc.

Guest culinist

I love Debian. I would recomend it to anyone. But you already know it's benifits.

Guest culinist

I've seen a few posts that had some folks that had questions regarding Linux. Thought I'd bump this thread for those who do not know that it is here.

Anyone tried vidalinux? I d/l'ing it right now. Says it's based on Gentoo with the Redhat Anaconda installer. I'm gonna test out the amd64 version and comapre it to my deb64. I know it's not the same as running Gentoo, but I wonder how close you can get with some tweaking. Probably not too close, but I'll find out. I'm not really interested in getting a Gentoo system out of it, just want to compare it to Debian.

Getting some really crappy d/l speeds on bittorrent, so it may be a while. I'll let ya'll know, if anyone cares.

fonts can sometimes be tricky to set up ... esp. because there's two ways to do it! The older (and not recommended by me) way is to set up xfs and run it as a daemon at system startup. Way two: put some truetype fonts into /usr/share/fonts/truetype and run fc-cache. hope that helps. At least, that's what i think i did .... :confused:

No, it was something in the new package sets that did it .. the newest version of freetype and possible fontconfig. It was just affecting firefox from what I could see, but it was visually annoying .. I got so disgusted that I wiped the linux completely, put my 3 wd's into nvraid 0 and loaded xp .....

Heh .. what'll be fun is when I decide to rebuild my system .. my build os is on my laptop drive .. I have to pull the laptop drive and use it to boot my a64 system so I can have a good clean build host .. heh

I really need some more, bigger drives before I can rebuild correctly. This crap of juggling 3 ide hard drives sucks sometimes. Plus on top of that, i get the performance loss on the second ide channel as I have hard drive + my dvd on there.

i have been running windows recently (i know its discusting isnt it...) but i usualy like gentoo even though it is a pain in the rear to install and configure correctly... i have to say the main reason why i like it Gentoo soo much is there are a lot of packages to choosse from and i can usualy get just about every program i want installed with out too much fuddeling with settings or hours of searching.

Guest culinist

I really like the "idea" of Gentoo. But I'm no where near patient enough for it.

I'm pretty patient with all of it usually, building my LFS installs helps with the patience. Sometimes though, it gets so annoying that I have to revert to something else.

My main desktop system needs to be able to do the things I like to do, if it is failing in any way, it stops being worth it .. and sometimes, after building the system, hacking the kernel to correctly work with everything, hacking and compiling all the libs, graphics libs, xorg, qt, kde, and finding that a main component isn't doing what it was supposed to .. bleh ...

Then there's the whole issue of being lazy and not wanting to screw around with getting my system to load linux from a raid setup :D