DIY Street Linux Thread.

Guest culinist_merged

Having just completed a rebuild of my lfs system, I can help but notice that my fonts are just outright ugly in firefox .. not anti aliasing the right way for some reason. I think it's the version of freetype that I used (2.1.10 .. newest release). Has anyone else used this version and seen crappy font rendering?

• Replies 518
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest culinist
Thanks culinist!!!! I am now Firefox ready!!!

No sweat PKing. Glad it worked out for ya.

...I've given up on Linux x86_64.

The problems with GCC cropped up again late last night when I did an "emerge -e world" (since the "workaround" presented by a developer on their IRC channel was to do a stage3 -> rebuild everything with desired flags). Not much help in their forums or bugging it - similar bug's existed for days, nobody's bothered to touch it. And I bloody know it's not my hardware.

"Righto, lets try Ubuntu."

After the first reboot, weird errors kept popping up while it was trying to configure itself and it went into a constant loop. "blah blah blah locked, ext3 errors, waiting 5 minutes to...blah blah"

Have fun on the other side of the OS divide.

culinist: I hope to bother you for some more information. I installed Firefox using the second method that you provided with success. Yesterday, I attempted to get the urpmi program that you suggested so that I could install other packages. I followed all the instructions, but there is nothing after step three to make the program work. After I type in the line in the root councel what do you do to finish the install?

Thanks

Guest culinist

After you typed in the urpmi repos, did it update? It's been a wile since i ran mandrake so I can't remember exactly what it does. Sould have seen some text running in the console.

text runs in the concel.. it creates a directory for the program, but I have no clue how to access the program or make it work. I opened the directory that the program was in, but there is nothing to run.

Guest culinist

http://usalug.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2488

here's a quick How_to. It is all Command based so you would have to type, as root:

# urpmi package_name

Mandrake also has a graphical package manager, just forget what it's called.

Check out this forum for lots of Mandrake/Manriva info.

http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/fo....php?forumid=30

Having just completed a rebuild of my lfs system, I can help but notice that my fonts are just outright ugly in firefox .. not anti aliasing the right way for some reason. I think it's the version of freetype that I used (2.1.10 .. newest release). Has anyone else used this version and seen crappy font rendering?

fonts can sometimes be tricky to set up ... esp. because there's two ways to do it! The older (and not recommended by me) way is to set up xfs and run it as a daemon at system startup. Way two: put some truetype fonts into /usr/share/fonts/truetype and run fc-cache. hope that helps. At least, that's what i think i did .... :confused:

• 2 weeks later...

I was wondering if anyone could suggest a linux distro for me, I used debian and it was by far my favorite mainly because of apt and included resources. The only problem I have with debian is it's inconsistancy, following the same install method to a T twice on the same machine with different results = a bloody mess on the keyboard. It was fun to start with, a black screen and a promt :D something with the same focus on command line and a good source of packages, any suggestions?