G.SKILL Extreme Series (2 x 1GB) Overclocking

tadone

Hey all I'm wrestling with this ram and it's insane, I am running prime stable albeit some slight quirks like 1 core being delayed by a minute past the 8 hour mark or however long the progression of the delay is to get it to that point as they both start out the same and the first hour or two finish each problem at the same time.

Anyway my question is not so much about that but the fact this ram is really finicky and I have to run at 5/6 166 divider. I'd love to go back to 9/10 180 or even 1:1 yeah right. I noticed in G.Skill Techs best settings the LDT/HTT is set to 3x. In the DFI OC guide it says the default is 4x. Is it imperative that I run 3x? I thought this is for the memory controller and nothing to do with the ram, just the fsb you run so you don't go above the 2000 threshold for the memory controller. Does this rely on the ram then? Should I switch it to 3x?

at a 5/6 divider I am having no issue with 4x ldt and at higher I noticed instability with it at 4x or 3x.

Should I turn CPC off and try to run 280 at 1:1 or will the 1t give me better performance at the lower divider?

I've looked at all the guides and am somewhat happy with where I am, I just keep thinking I am doing something wrong and could do better.

Any help and tips would be apreciated. Thank you.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Per the guide, http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20823 , you are not supposed to exceed the LDT bus speed of 2000. So, either 'auto' it, or 3x in your case if the total sum exceeds 2000.

I would think that the guide would give you your answers to the questions that you are asking. RG has advised that tighter timings are generally better in the big picture view.

Some people have not seen huge reductions in scores using the CPC disabled instead of CPC enabled. It's up to you and your test results to determine which setting is best to get stability while OCing.

Start with the guide again, and turn down all the cpu stuff, and do your memtests etc, and work from that point. You will then know what YOU have. Every one of those sticks are different, everyone gets different results. I get above average, but my crappy 4400 with one weak bank holds me back. I've not OC'd my board since I got it back from repair, so maybe I can overclock mine a little more myself, we'll see.

• 2 weeks later...

I am planning on buying an ultra-d and an opteron soon. So I bought the ram and put it in my NF2 Ultra-b mobo. My 2500+ barton sucks. I had to raise the voltage to 1.75 just to get it stable in prime95 at 200 FSB. I want to get 227 FSB. My multiplier is locked at 11x so i can't lower it.

I was able to run the ram at 2.5-3-3-11 since the FSB is so low.