Homebuilt Acrylic Case Project

Hello Gents,

Ok, about 18 months ago I bought alot of acrylic sheet ($200), with the intention of building my own Case. Everyone has their own ideas of what they want in a case and even the nice Lian-Li I have doesnt quite fill my idea of a dream case.

Well I decided to wait till I had a few computer parts so I could be sure of the case dimensions. Meanwhile, my acrylic sat around, got dusty with spiderwebs and the protective paper covering decided to bond with the plastic. Well I finally got the parts all delivered 12/22/05 and now have the time to start my dream case. I would llike to add a few more photos as I progress.

Below are the beginning four pieces that will comprise the core framework of my rig. It will be an upside-down mounting with the hd's and PSU on the bottom, the motherboard again downside-up and lots of breathing. I will have a divider seperating the bottom 6 inches of the case vs the rest above. Four 120mm fans on the top-half and one in the bottom blowing over my HD's. Case dimensions H23"xL22"xW8" not including the feet on the bottom of the case.

Comp2.jpg Comments and Advice Welcomed Please.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

SkY[uK] Hi,

Well I have to admit that the cutting part was my biggest hurdle. Im pretty good with a drill or jigsaw, but I had visions of some real problems and lots of plastic going to the scrap heap. Until, that is I discovered the "Roto-Zip" Rotary Cutting Tool. It looks like a Dremel on steroids. I bought one on my trusty HomeDepot card. With just a little practice Im pretty decent with it. It made the job simple. I am very pleased with the result.

I guess the only thing I don't like about my case is there's not nearly enough room behind the mobo tray for cords, I certainly intend on creating my own aluminum case in the future, perhaps with built-in watercooling. *sigh*...I'm so lazy...

Looks great so far man!

Hi,

Well I did get a little work done today but not as much as I wanted. Guests and Football dominated the Household today.

Some of the hardware was painted gold as planned and the case divider glued in.

Tommorrow will have me designing, cutting and gluing the pieces to secure the motherboard backingplate within the case, as well as the brackets for mounting the hardrives and DVD burner etc. Blake331, yes all acrylic except the backing plate which I cannibalized from an old case.

Mr Peanutplanters, regarding your question about building for someone else. At the moment im not even sure how it will all finish up here with this one. Building for others can ultimately lead to alot of headaches that im not sure im ready for at this time. When the case is done, I still have to install all my components and get the thing fired up and running like a champ (crossesfingers). Then I will probably want to jump into some gaming.

Thanks for the compliments guyz.

Comp4.jpg Todays progress.