Homebuilt Acrylic Case Project

just a thought..

i'd add another 120mm fan on the top of the case. hot air rises, cold air falls..add another to the top and make both blowing out to suck a lot of air up and away. plus you have your cpu and cards which can just blow up then the 120mm case fans will do the rest :-) looks sweet. happy building

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Alright well if your interested and have the time, id like to work with you on seeing about building a case. I understand if you dont have the time or resources. I not too picky about small things not working out i just wanted a clear case that was built to my needs, but im not really a good handyman.

Case looks awsome too. Ill want to see how it turns out.

Top "blowhole" fans are vastly overrated. The typical computer case is several orders of magnitude too short to generate the "chimney effect".

Just take a look at the very best engineered cases available on the market. Not a single one of them has a top fan. Granted there are a lot of cases with top fans but all of them are "bling" cases.

You're much better served by having a fan inside the case to keep the air stirred up and moving over the components. A single slow speed 120mm fan can move enough air around to reduce component temps dramatically.

just a thought..

i'd add another 120mm fan on the top of the case. hot air rises, cold air falls..add another to the top and make both blowing out to suck a lot of air up and away. plus you have your cpu and cards which can just blow up then the 120mm case fans will do the rest :-) looks sweet. happy building

Top "blowhole" fans are vastly overrated. The typical computer case is several orders of magnitude too short to generate the "chimney effect".

Don't think you need the "chimney effect" (where the warm air column actually pulls air up the chimney without assistance) for a top blow hole fan to afford some benefit by forceably drawing air out.

Just for giggles I did some quick and dirty temp measurements on my "bling" ;) case.

With the room temp at 23c and machine at idle, my rear mounted 120mm exhaust temp is about 27c and my top 80mm blow hole exhaust is 29c. This would seem to indicate a temp gradient, albeit a small one, in the case. Also, anything that causes an increase in the amount of ambient air being pulled into the case seems like it would be a good thing.

on my p180 case

i dont even use the top hole for exhaust. doesnt do much

so instead i flipped the fan over and made it an intake. gets alot of cool air into case stirring around that way instead

cause i also mounted a 120 where the 5" bays are blowing in pass memory and one more fan in the HD bays.

my case manages to move alot of air with a single exhaust in the back

so drago, that might be a good idea for you if you wanna air cool the vid card since you might it upside down

See post #27 in this thread...

http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12219

Don't think you need the "chimney effect" (where the warm air column actually pulls air up the chimney without assistance) for a top blow hole fan to afford some benefit by forceably drawing air out.

Just for giggles I did some quick and dirty temp measurements on my "bling" ;) case.

With the room temp at 23c and machine at idle, my rear mounted 120mm exhaust temp is about 27c and my top 80mm blow hole exhaust is 29c. This would seem to indicate a temp gradient, albeit a small one, in the case. Also, anything that causes an increase in the amount of ambient air being pulled into the case seems like it would be a good thing.

I guess this is just one of those areas where there are many schools of thought and even more ways of doing it. I have always tried to maintain negative pressure, to maximize the air exchange in the case, since doing that brings ambient air in via just about every opening in the case . I blow my rig out with compressed air at about 40 PSI (enough to clean it without ripping componants off the board :)) once every few months to address the dust issue.

Years ago I used an article from the AMD web site to come up with my my case cooling setup. I've kind of used that as a guide ever since.

They subscribe to the idea that air should enter the front bottom, exit the top back, and pressure should be negative.

Ref:

http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/Comput...00.html#AirFlow

Steve

Well, Ive been slowed down a bit. I shared an intimate moment with the blade of my table saw. I guess she didnt like me as much as I thought. :nod: I took a nice chunk of flesh out of the tip of my index finger. Its difficult working around it.

I did manage to get a couple things done today. The brackets for the DVD and the base for the HD's.

Comp5.jpg

Well, Ive been slowed down a bit. I shared an intimate moment with the blade of my table saw. I guess she didnt like me as much as I thought. :nod: I took a nice chunk of flesh out of the tip of my index finger. Its difficult working around it.

I did manage to get a couple things done today. The brackets for the DVD and the base for the HD's.

Comp5.jpg

On the finger: Ouch! Done that before. Wood working is my second hobby. Like to have a dime for evey time I've performed a little unintended sacrifice to the power tool gods.

On the case: How will the side panels attach? Will they both be removeable? Is it sturdy in it's current form? (no fore to aft flexing)

Steve

I shared an intimate moment with the blade of my table saw. I guess she didnt like me as much as I thought. :nod: I took a nice chunk of flesh out of the tip of my index finger. Its difficult working around it.

got to sign every build or repair project in blood one way or another lol

Sweet, I have an acrylic case my self. They can be a hassle at times but look great. Not to be an butt or anything you can buy one for under a $100. Not custom but looks pretty similar to urs. :angel: :tooth: