Sli on Expert a joke?

no matter what i do, i cant get SLI to work proper?

Using the nF4 Expert ( 12/07 bios) and 2x 7800GT cards MSI and POV, Opty 148 and my tagan 480W PSU

for example running 3dm05 default with 2 cards gives me under 10000, running it with 1280x1024 2x FSAA / 8X AF gets me around 10500 :S

3dm03 gives me 27000, more normal there maby?

running any Source engine game gives my wors FPS then with a singel card.

ive tryed alot of diffrent chipset and Gfx driver combo, but the bad performance dosent go away :(

any clues?

no matter what i do, i cant get SLI to work proper?

Using the nF4 Expert ( 12/07 bios) and 2x 7800GT cards MSI and POV, Opty 148 and my tagan 480W PSU

for example running 3dm05 default with 2 cards gives me under 10000, running it with 1280x1024 2x FSAA / 8X AF gets me around 10500 :S

3dm03 gives me 27000, more normal there maby?

running any Source engine game gives my wors FPS then with a singel card.

ive tryed alot of diffrent chipset and Gfx driver combo, but the bad performance dosent go away :(

any clues?

I had the same problem at first....... I use older graphic drivers to get it to work. The newer version, I could only see one card. Try This Pal :nod:

im currently using the 81.85 driver.. so way older than this?

ran splinter cell Chaos Theory benchy @ 1280 all maxed out with 2 cards on the guru3d map 2 i got 53FPS and with a singel card i got 35.

some games seems to benefit some not..

but the 3dmark05 score comoon :(

• 5 months later...

I just got my second 7800 GTX installed, and I have to say I hear ya. I am actually getting worse FPS in CS:Source than I was with just one card...

I've also set my stuff on different SLI rendering methods to test them all but with no avail. Is my processor just bottle necking this, or is SLI just a scam?

Any feed back would be awesome.

Your proccesor is bottlenecking you. SLI requires cpu power for each card, since there are 2 cards it requires twice as much as it usually would from the cpu. Since Hl2 is a very cpu limited game already, any changes to the ammount of CPU power will actually drop the max frame rates acheivable somewhat, also lowering average scores. With that said, you should be able to turn the eye candy up even higher, and not lose much more frames than you already have.

When I speak about eye candy I'm referring to HDR, Antialiasing and Ansiotropic filtering. Read a bit more about them here and here

I SLIed a pair of 6800s and got 1.8x better scores in the 3dmarks. They were OCed also. I fried 'em when I switched to water cooling and forgot I'd need air flow to cool the memory. But, SLI worked very well for me. I'd suspect drivers or BIOS settings (there're 2 -- you have to enable SLI aperture (advanced page?) and you have to set the PCIe for 8-NC-4-8 (genie bios page?)).

Are you doing everything from safe mode? Uninstalling the old drivers, rebooting, installing the new drivers, and then rebooting for them to recognize the video card without firewalls or virus scanners running? <-- all from safe mode!

It does make a difference.

Isnt that PSU a little light in the loafers for SLI? Thought 32 amps were recomended on the 12 volt rail for SLI though cant be sure I do Know that 28 amps on a single card can be very borderline.

As stated uninstall drivers but use driver cleaner pro to remove the extras and follow the directions. Might also look for virus malware or just extra pograms like virus protection fire wall clean the desk top up too etc. Also reinstall directX.

Might need to disable one of the cores for some apps dont like it especily with older drivers.

Do you have a sound card?

I'll try uninstalling and reinstalling the drivers from safe mode. But I never took into account that HL2 was very processor dependant. I guess that sorta sucks since it doesn't support dual core :(

Think I should return the second card and just keep 1 7800 in there?

And yes, I have a sound card. It's the integrated.

Isnt that PSU a little light in the loafers for SLI?

That psu is a way lot more than light in the loafers for SLi.

Yes sir, yes indeed. Suprised they run at all.

The Tagans don't get SLi certification until you get to the TG-530-U15 Model.

I'd venture to say the the 12v1 and 12v2 amperage is a little overstated on the 480w model.