Necessary to reinstall windows xp?

Is it necessary to reinstall windows xp if you upgrade to a ultra-d mobo/new cpu/new videocard? Computer boots and goes to blue screen with stop error 0x0000007b which basically means it cant detect the boot drive which is my 80gig ide harddrive ibm deskstar with windows xp.

If it is necessary to reinstall windows will i have to either repair it or will i have to do a completely new install over the existing windows. I dont want to have to lose everything that i have installed and setup just because i bought new hardware.

With all new chipset drivers, etc, you should re-install.

Just copy any files you want to another disk, cd, or dvd. Wondows xp also has some kind of file transfer wizard that will assist in this process. It will copy all types of files in your OS folders, and also save many windows settings you have.

I wrecked my RAID stripe while taking OC's too far, while not having BSODs i had a whole lot of other issues. removing partitions and rebuilding the Array solved these. I can concur. don't mess to try to repair your install, just backup what you need and do a clean install.

I also second that motion! It' don't pay to try and run a new setup on an old install! You might get lucky, BUT there is an even better chance things will run really wonky! nothing like a couple dozen wrongly associated hardware drivers etc...all trying to be in charge! woot!

Fresh install, back-up what you can before you do! yup, yup! But if your planning on playing and OC'ing these DFI boards be sure to back-up your software regularly, and be prepaired to do the re-install. I've corrupted a good number of OS installs in my day. :P

O.

PS: I just did my 4th fresh install in under a week....I really should invest in a ghost image of my clean pre-driver os install! :P Swapped out a motherbaod and then a CPU! doh!