Fresh install - WD Raptor - WinXP

I got myself a WD 74GB Raptor for a nice price and so I plan to reformat and do a fresh install.

I heard of nlite to add/remove stuff from my Windows XP cd. Well since WinXP doesn't have SATA drivers I plan to intergrate the latest nVidia4 drivers.

But I see 4 directories under "IDE". Which one do I install?

All the guides I see are for RAID, but I only ONE raptor.

I think I understand what he is trying to say. He wants to do a fresh install of Windows XP on his new SATA WD Raptor. Windows XP does not contain SATA drivers and thus will not detect the Hard Drive.

The question is how can he integrate the latest NF4 drivers onto the WinXP install without having to load them with a floppy disk.

Fortuneately for me the Windows XP SP2 CD that came with my Alienware Laptop had all those drivers already integrated so I use that disk for all my new installs. Of course I can't activate the install so I replace the code with the onefrom my older copy of XP and everything is good.

You shouldn't have to worry about it...most people dont realize that raptor are just ide drives with an ide to sata adapter stuck to the back. Mine was detected and installed perfectly with no tweaking of the install disk.

really. so its and IDE HDD

I think I understand what he is trying to say. He wants to do a fresh install of Windows XP on his new SATA WD Raptor. Windows XP does not contain SATA drivers and thus will not detect the Hard Drive.

The question is how can he integrate the latest NF4 drivers onto the WinXP install without having to load them with a floppy disk.

If you're not doing Raid, then no hard drive drivers are neccessary, regardless if it's ata or sata, afaik.

• 1 month later...
If you're not doing Raid, then no hard drive drivers are neccessary, regardless if it's ata or sata, afaik.

Are you sure? When i setup my last build it didnt work until i installed the drivers with the floppies. I dont think that you need them everytime that you do a new install but you do need them sometimes

Are you sure? When i setup my last build it didnt work until i installed the drivers with the floppies. I dont think that you need them everytime that you do a new install but you do need them sometimes

Wow. You picked an old thread to resurrect. If your using the nVidia SATA ports and not running raid, then you don't need to load drivers.

If your using the Sil SATA ports, then you do need to load drivers.

I always recommend using the nVidia ports for the system drive.

My Raptor appears in the tray in the "Safely Remove Harware" icon with the green arrow and the drive picture. You know the one that appears when you plug in a flash drive. Very strange. I'm not actually sure if this is normal, but it didn't do that when I had it in my other system...