Memory or Motherboard problem?

I found this forum earlier today, and have spent the best part of the day reading through the FAQ's and posts. I have found so much conflicting advice (May not be, but it confused me)

Anyway the problem.

Every time I reboot my machine it hangs in the bios post. If I change the memory from the 2 & 4 to 1 & 2 the machine works fine, obviously this is not ideal as it slows the machine down.

If the machine has been standing for a while (Like overnight) it starts and boots fine.

I have as you can see below Crucial Ballistix memory, and I have read of the problems others have suffered. However with the suggested timings from Crucial the machine still does not complete a post after a warm reboot. I have done the memory test, for over 30 iterations and they all completed fine? So do I have a memory problem? or something else wrong? I also noticed that my PSU is 460W not the recommended 480W, could this be the issue? I am not running two graphics cards as yet.

The machine stops roughly on the post screen after it gives the memory timing settings.

Any help most welcome, please bear with me if this problem is posted elsewhere, but I am very limited on how long I can read small print on this site (very bad eye's)

Regards Paul.

Thanks for the reply, I had a feeling someone would say that, I bought this particular supply from QuitePC before I had decided what Motherboard I would purchase. I was hoping, as I was not running SLI (two cards) that I would get away with it.

Another £80.00 ($100) down the drain :(

Paul.

yeah i decided that i wanted a dfi board.... then i found this site.. thank god i did becuase i would have bought all the wrong stuff... lol this site is full on great advice... now i'm addicted to OC'ing and i have done nothing but read about OC's for the last month now.. lol

still building my rig.... sigh can't wait till its done.

i would personally recommend pc power and cooling PSU's but thats a personal prefence and they happen to be on the top of the recommended list.

Good luck.. let us know if that PSU solves your problem.. could be other things too..

I was after quite, hence I went for this PSU the QT-03460G Gold, according to the specs its should be fine for a single card, 12V Max current 29Amps?

Or have I lost the plot here? It's all getting a tad confusing.

Model Number QT-03350G Gold QT-03400G Gold QT-03460G Gold

20-pin ATX Connector Yes Yes Yes

24-pin ATX Connector Yes Yes Yes

ATX12V (4-pin) support Yes Yes Yes

EPS12V (8-pin) support Yes Yes Yes

PCI-E support (6-pin) Yes Yes Yes

Number of floppy drive connectors 1 1 2

Number of hard drive connectors 4 4 8

Number of SATA power connectors 4 4 4

Master power on/off switch Yes Yes Yes

Acoustic noise level 17 - 27 dB(A) 17 - 27 dB(A) 19 - 32 dB(A)

Mains input voltage selection Auto-range Auto-range Auto-range

Length of motherboard power cable 50 cm (approx) 50 cm (approx) 50 cm (approx)

+3.3V maximum output current 22 A 30 A 30 A

+5V maximum output current 21 A 28 A 30 A

Total +12V maximum output current 25 A 29 A 29 A

+12V1 maximum output current 10 A 14 A 14 A

+12V2 maximum output current 15 A 15 A 15 A

Combined maximum output +3.3V / +5V 130 W 130 W 210 W

+5VSB maximum standby current 2.0 A 2.0 A 2.0 A

Honestly, you should be fine with that psu...if you continue to have problems, you'll probably want to switch because you wont receive a whole lot of help around here from the mods if you don't meet the minimum specs. If you do have to get a new power supply, just make sure you get one with a single 120mm fan...that will be as silent as you need. I can't hear my modstream unless I stick my ear where it exhausts.

Thanks ever so much for the reply.

The problem is most of the PSU's listed here are for the American market, I did find a link off one of the forum posts about UK PSU's, but did not definitively say for the NF4 SLI-DR.

The nearest I got was the Enermax Liberty ELT620AWT (620W) which I can get hold of (well they list it on a website over here)

Will give them a call tomorrow and see if they have stock, heaven help me if the Boss finds out (Wife) what I have spent on this machine :)

Regards Paul.

Ok I follwoed the stern warnings on the site and bought a Enermax® Liberty Series Power Supply - ELT620AWT (620 Watt) I really hope this sorts the problem. All of the other PSU's on the list were not available.

Paul.