Happy Veteran's Day!

soundx98

With rare exception(like during hurricane Katrina, or if some a-hole steals it) you will find an American flag flying at my house.

My Great Great Grandfather started the trend shortly after he returned from battle at the end of the Civil War.

The flag is treated with honor and always displayed correctly. For almost 100 years the family stored all of the retired flags keeping some special ones on display. Usually the last flag retired before a new star was added received a place of prominence at family gatherings.

Sadly, most of the collection was lost in a house fire several years before I was born. My Dad carried a small American flag with him during his time in the European Theater during WWII. He lost it when it was used as a temporary bandage on another soldier during the shelling of the Ardennes Forrest at the Battle of the Bulge in the Winter of 1944.

When I was very young I asked my Dad why we always had an American flag in front of the house. He paused for a few long moments then told me that "we fly the flag to honor his friends served with him in the Army and all of the soldiers in uniform."

I have the honor of continuing the tradition to this day.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 11 months later...

Day late and a dollar short but.....

I served in B. Co. 2/325th Airborne Infantry, White Falcon's huah. Some of the best year's of my life. To everyone that serving past present and future my thank's.

In March 1997, the battalion was alerted to deploy 2 companies and a TAC to the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia to act as the security force for ARCENT-SA. Once the deployment of B and C Companies had started, the battalion was alerted to deploy a company to the Republic of Haiti to serve as the security force for the United States Support Group-Haiti. After B and C Companies spent 120 days in the desert of Saudi Arabia and A Company spent 90 days in Haiti, the battalion was reunited in September 1997.

^^ I was there.

In today's society people tend to put to much incentive to join the service (any branch) into the college money etc, IMO it's pretty pathetic. When they get sent to combat they whine and complain that they shouldnt be there, citing that they only joined for the GI Bill, one woman comes to mind, she was taken POW in Iraq, and made a big stink when she was rescued about it, then had the nerve to call herself a patriot.

"I, _____, do solemnly swear that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; and that I will obey the orders of the President of the United States and the orders of the officers appointed over me, according to regulations and the Uniform Code of Military Justice. So help me God."

I don't see anything in that about college money.

Thats my mini rant for the week, I'd go into it deeper but noone wants to here me ramble i gaurentee.

• 11 months later...